Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Grand Cayman w/ Alex Mustard

Started by james ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Grand Cayman w/ Alex Mustard

4 posts
  1. Grand Cayman w/ Alex Mustard

    Last weekend, Sarah and I visited Grand Cayman to do a bit of recon. and to also visit our new friend (and Wetpixel contributor) Dr. Alex Mustard (http://www.amustard.com). Despite the hurricane that passed over the island on Thursday morning, conditions were calm when I landed around midnight. My flight was delayed, but at least I got there...:-)

     

    G9LR0478.thumb.jpgG9LR0463.thumb.jpgDSC_4266.thumb.jpg

     

    A cayman islands sunset, Seven Mile Beach, and a tiny triplefin fish

     

    To view the complete photo gallery, visit: http://www.reefpix.org/gallery/album68

     

    We got to dive with Giles (http://www.digitallywet.com) the second day for two dives and it was great to meet him too. We did two dives at Sunset House reef and 3 dives at Turtle Farm Reef. Conditions were still a bit "snotty" for wideangle, so I stuck to shooting the 105mm and sometimes the 105 with a +1 diopter. I haven't received a housing for the Kodak ProSLRn yet, so Sarah and I had to trade off using the Sea and Sea D100. That worked surprisingly well since we were shooting macro - whoever wasn't shooting was spotting for the other.

     

    DSC_4292.thumb.jpgDSC_4119.thumb.jpgDSC_4234.thumb.jpg

     

    The topsides photos in this gallery were taken using the Kodak ProSLRn with a 24-85mm lens.

     

    Again, diving with Alex was an awesome learning experience. He has a lot of time in the water with his D100 not to mention the fact that he has a doctorate in marine science. I think Alex is leading a trip or two this year, so if he has spaces available, I recommend snapping them up.

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. Great macro shots, James! If you figure out what juvenile DSC_4063.jpg

    is, I'd love to know. I have the same critter from Belize a few weeks ago.

     

    Marli

  3. Thanks Marli! I know for sure it's a triplefin because it was waving it's tiny little "headfin" around at me. Sorry, I don't know the genus and species, but I bet you can look it up on Fishbase.

     

    Cheers

    James

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.