Apologies for dredging this topic back to the top, but what was a theoretical discussion previously now how has become a (somewhat) real choice for me, and I'd love to get people's opinions (and @Alex - if you're reading this post, I would be very interested in your opinion specifically given you've had the opportunity to shoot both water contact lens solutions).
After shooting macro w/the D850 (in a Nauticam housing) in Anilao last month I struggled through learning some of the ins & outs of shooting full frame for the first time underwater. In short - this camera/housing pairing grew on me by week's end.
However, I didn't think I would use it (or have the opportunity to use it) shooting wide angle anytime soon... In short, things have changed, and I might have a chance to shoot some mantas/sharks later this spring.
Given the hefty price of the Nauticam WACP, I wanted to also potentially look at the alternative of acquiring a used RS 13mm lens (one avail. on eBay right now) and getting it converted. The cost of the 13mm lens + the conversion almost makes this a (very expensive) wash between these two solutions.
So assuming I could spare the $, which solution would people recommend? This would be mainly for shooting sharks/mantas and CFWA reef scenes.
I'm not sold on dropping the $ on either solution yet - just trying to get some insights on strengths/weaknesses of either approach.
And for anyone that wants to suggest sticking with a more conventional superwide dome - I have the somewhat unique challenge that my 15 year old daughter is now shooting with an Oly u/w, and my wife & 13 year old son also shoot video u/w, so space (when we travel) is at an absolute premium in our bags (weight is a bit less of an issue - although the WACP seems to be quite hefty, so need to take that into consideration).
All thoughts/comments welcome...
- Matt
