Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

ISO and digitalcamera (C4040)

Started by her ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

ISO and digitalcamera (C4040)

9 posts
  1. I do not understand the ISO selection on my camera C4040 ( or any other digital camera), what is it that changes going from ISO 100, 200, to 400?

     

    In advance thank you very much.

     

    Best regards, Henrik

  2. In photography terms it's setting the film speed. Setting to ISO100 is equivalent to puting ISO100 or ASA100 film in the camera ...etc.

     

    In circuit terms it's setting the gain of the output amp of the CCD; bigger number -> more gain, more noise.

     

    Herb

  3. recommended ISO film speed underwater is 100 anything higher can cause noise or grainy results.

  4. It seems that most shots I've seen are at ISO 100 or ISO 50 (G2)...would there be any situations where you'd want to use anything above that?

  5. I used to use ISO 200 films when shooting wrecks ... gained one f-stop on my old MX-10 but this is irrelevant for digital cameras.

     

    Maybe ISO 200 is not too noisy for low light situations when you cannot use a strobe.

     

    Sabine

  6. My point is, if the quality is grainier at higher ISOs, why do manufacturers even bother with them?

  7. Because there are times when you might be willing to trade image quality for a proper exposure, if that's the only way you can get the shot.

     

    Richard

  8. Maybe I'm nuts, but I cannot see the differnece above water between ISO400 & 100...

     

    I just shot some low light pics inside the chapel at the Santa Barbara Mission on my Canon D5 and cannot for the life of me see a difference.... maybe it is my old eyes but am I the only one who can't see the difference??

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.