Thanks for the reply DocTock.
Is there any difference in quality between the Subsee +10 and the SMC? There seems quite a lot of difference in price between the two.
Given the choice between one or the other what would be your choice?
The SubSee +10 is nice - optics are good.
The SMC is even better - optics are excellent.
I kept the SMC and sold the SubSee +10, but only because I felt there was too much overlap in the magnification between the 2 lenses.
If I had not been able to pick up an SMC as a pre-owned (virtually unused) piece of equipment at a great price, I might still be shooting the SubSee +10...
I think the locking Nauticam flip (or Saga flip) is invaluable. I totally respect anyone who can add/switch wet lenses underwater by just using the port/lens threaded attachment - I just find it cumbersome and a good way to drop/ loose the lens.
Don't forget, shooting with the magnification provided with either is not easy (and if there is any current
), and on a FF Nikon D800, the DOF is extremely small.
If you are not familiar with shooting macro with add-on wet lenses, you may wish to start with the SubSee +5 and a flip lens holder. Often in Lembeh there are other guests who have hauled their entire photography kit and may be willing to let you try their higher power wet lenses.