I'm looking for an upgrade for my old and trusty Olympus XZ-1 and I'd like to keep my rig small and travel friendly as I have it now.
My rig is the XZ-1, Olympus PT-050 housing, Olympus PTWC-01 wide angle converter, Subsee +10d macro lens, 2x Inon S2000 strobe setup, X-Adventurer focus light and a basic 14" flex arm set which works well enough with this lightweight setup.
What I love about the Olympus XZ-1
- Manual flash with 1/64 power setting and sync with any shutter speed down to 1/2000 (immediate shutter response, no recycle time)
- Small sensor is forgiving for Macro (large DOF)
- Great, sharp and contrasty lens
What I like less
- Ancient 10mpix sensor with no dynamic range reserve. No recovery from blown highlights, max. 1EV recovery from shadows. Only ISO100 useful.
- 2 dive battery life
- sketchy TTL with strobes
I see three possible upgrade paths but none seems perfect
1. Compact camera setup - my current pick of the bunch would be the Panasonic Lumix LX10/15 or perhaps the Canon G7X mk2
- I get to keep fast flash sync, but no Manual flash setting with either of the two and possibly lots of added shutter lag
- Only reasonable housing choice for the Panasonic is from Nauticam (expensive). Ikelite housing has no cold shoe which is a pity, as this is where I like to have my focus light attached. Canon path has more housing choices including ones with M67 thread and cold shoe
2. Olympus PEN Light + wet lens
- Olympus EPL-7 with it's dedicated housing would be my choice in this group. Low cost and no additional investment necessary in my rig
- Can it do 1/64 flash?
- Can it sync faster than 1/250s with manual flash?
- What's the performance of the 14-42mm kit with wet wide/macro lenses? Possibly inferior to compact cam setup?
3. Olympus PEN/OM with 9-18mm and 60mm macro + ports/dome
- Most investment needed
- Least versatile. Impossible to re-build the set between macro and wide angle between subsequent dives.
- Clear winner in quality and performance including widest-wide and closest macro possible.
I'm leaning towards the compact setup however I'm afraid of the consequences of not having a manual flash setting (lag, faster battery drain). How is that in practice?