Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens for A6300?

Started by Barmaglot ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens for A6300?

3 posts
  1. I was rearranging stuff on a shelf and accidentally pushed my 16-50mm kit lens off it and onto the floor :fool: Now the inner telescoping part just floats in and out, so the lens is gone, and I'm flying to Thailand in two months for a week on Koh Tao followed by a five-day liveaboard to the Similans and Richelieu Rock. Oops. My housing is the Meikon/SeaFrogs one released last year, with a fixed port that can accommodate Sony 16-50mm, Sony 30mm macro or Sigma 19mm. However, Meikon just released their new interchangeable port housing for the A6xxx series, with a proper dome port and everything, even a vacuum system attachment port (a first for them), and I'm torn - do I limit my expenditure to $200 for a replacement 16-50mm lens + wet dome, or do I go whole hog with a new housing ($297), dry dome ($185) and Sony 10-18mm (at least $500-550 used) or Sigma 16mm ($450)? I also looked into Zeiss 12mm, which is cheaper used than Sony 10-18mm, but it seems that A6300 can only use CDAF with it rather than PDAF, which is kind of a deal breaker. Any other budget-friendly options that I'm missing?

  2. Meikon stuff sucks and the company will refuse to offer you any support. That was my experience. Don't waste your money, get a Fantasea housing.

  3. Respectfully disagree - I have Meikon's fixed-port A6xxx housing, and aside from the fixed port, I don't really have any complaints regarding its quality. Looking at backscatter.com, the equivalent of SeaFrogs' $482 package (housing with flat port and dome port) will cost $1800 - almost four times the cost for exactly the same features. I'm not really seeing the value proposition there.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.