Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal port mount type 3 or 4? - determining

Started by clairegoodwin ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal port mount type 3 or 4? - determining

8 posts
  1. I will email Subal on this if I can't find out but thought someone might know off the top of their head.

     

    How do I work out if I have type 3 or 4 subal housing port mount? From the guide on reef photo (http://reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=21) I would be type 4 according to internal diameter (110mm) but my mount is not tapered like that.

     

    From memory I am type 3 but I can't find any of the original purchase paperwork. I bought the housing early 2009 if that is any help.

     

    Thanks,

    Claire

  2. I will email Subal on this if I can't find out but thought someone might know off the top of their head.

     

    How do I work out if I have type 3 or 4 subal housing port mount? From the guide on reef photo (http://reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=21) I would be type 4 according to internal diameter (110mm) but my mount is not tapered like that.

     

    From memory I am type 3 but I can't find any of the original purchase paperwork. I bought the housing early 2009 if that is any help.

     

    Thanks,

    Claire

    And photos. Sorry not great. e271a66a66108856a6ba2dc4bfa4fd56.jpga7acbd23123de00e66b7999e0db6861e.jpg

     

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  3. Hi Clare

     

    The date doesn't determine it too clearly - unhelpfully. It could be Type 3 or 4 as, at that date, I think you could choose.

     

    It's the dimension that is the determining factor (no surprise!). Unless anyone else knows differently, I think you'd have to go with the dimensions on the Reef Photo guide.

     

    (I've got a Type 4 which corresponds with the Reef info - and mine has sloped sides)

  4. Thanks Tim. Annoyingly I went through this before when I bought by dome port but I had an email clear out a while ago and can't find the sale info. I think I will contact subal just to be sure as the flat sides are worrying me.

    Claire

     

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  5. Hi Claire:

    If the internal diameter of your port is 11 cm, then it is a Type 4. Here are two photos of Type 4.

    The port ring on your housing may not have the sloping side because the housing is of a smaller size.

    Cheers!

    post-47296-0-81030900-1517848019_thumb.jpg

    post-47296-0-24837800-1517848239_thumb.jpg

  6. Thanks Tim. Annoyingly I went through this before when I bought by dome port but I had an email clear out a while ago and can't find the sale info. I think I will contact subal just to be sure as the flat sides are worrying me.

    Claire

     

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

     

    Hey Claire

     

    I've just checked my Type 4 and, as KdM and Reef report, from flange edge to flange edge on the Type 4 is 110mm.

     

    No harm at all of course checking with Subal but if the opening it smaller than the 110mm, I reckon you have Type 3.

     

    I've noticed that the more recent bits and bobs, ie EXRs and ports, now have a "/4" on them - which is helpful! So the EXR I got for my Tokina says "13/4". Maybe I can go now back to weeding my emails out again too.... :crazy:

     

    (Got a really nice Subal ND800 housing for sale if I can tempt you...... Type 4) :lol2:

    Edited by TimG
  7. Thanks guys. Got confirmation from Subal that it is indeed type 4.

     

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  8. :good:

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.