Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus E-M1 MII Memory Cards

Started by Deep6 ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus E-M1 MII Memory Cards

12 posts
  1. Pardon me if there is a thread on this topic. I searched and did not find any results. I am about to purchase an Olympus E-M1 Mark II and would like some of your suggestions for memory cards.

     

    UHS-II for raw?

    UHS-I for video?

     

    Video: ? MB/s write ?MB/s read ?U/V/Class min. write?

    Raw: same questions

     

    What brand of cards are giving you good results?

     

    TIA,

    Bob

  2. I'm using SanDisk Extreme PLUS U3 80 MB/s, 32 GB, without issues, E-M10.

     

    I can't imagine using slower or smaller.

    What I have might be overkill.

    I like overkill.

     

    See the table in this link: https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/

    I also found this useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

     

    I think you want a UHS Class U3 to allow for burst RAW and 1080p/4k video.

     

    The minimum write speed is the key. I think 64MB/s is a minimum, and 80-95 is better.

  3.  

    For a few dollars more, maybe two UHS-II slots would have been good.

    Sorry, I don't understand this comment.

  4. Sorry, I don't understand this comment.

    UHS-II is backwardly compatible. It will accept UHS-I, SC***, etc. Also, use the UHS-II for both video and high burst mode for land pics.

  5. UHS-II is backwardly compatible. It will accept UHS-I, SC***, etc. Also, use the UHS-II for both video and high burst mode for land pics.

    Sorry, I got the II vs I part, it was the "two slots" that I didn't understand. Are you saying you need bigger memory?

  6. Yes sir. The E-M1 MII has two slots and a dual processor that allows for 60 fps burst shooting (18 fps w/continuous autofocus). So, two UHS-II slots instead of one UHS-I and UHS-II each would be handy. Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-II with U3 is one of the recommended cards, and has a speed rating of 300MB/s. Good for 4K video and burst shooting.

    Edited by Deep6
  7. OK, now I understand. thanks. You want BOTH slots to be UHS-II. And, I had forgotten that the Mk II has two slots. Living in the past....

  8. OK, now I understand. thanks. You want BOTH slots to be UHS-II. And, I had forgotten that the Mk II has two slots. Living in the past....

    Hey, I have the E-M5 Mark I and the E-M10 Mark I; now that is the past! What generation is your E-M10?

  9. Hey, I have the E-M5 Mark I and the E-M10 Mark I; now that is the past! What generation is your E-M10?

    First generation, with a Nauticam housing that is an early production, so things like the soft handle and the trigger support do not fit it.

    I haven't yet outgrown it, but I am beginning to drool at some of the new stuff.

  10. The EM-1 Mk II has two slots but only one is UHS-II capable. You probably only need the fastest cards for 4K video. I have a Sandisk extreme pro rated at 95 MB/sec which does fine at high speed capture, burst shooting and general stills duty. Don't shoot video so can't comment there, but the sustained bit rates need the faster cards. I suspect the buffer along with an average speed card allows it to handle anything in the still side of things.

  11. Thanks Chris for the input. Olympus tech. recommends Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-II U3 300MB/s for 4K video. I ordered some UHS-I 90 MB/s for my wife's camera. I may have to steal them 80)

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.