Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What lens for Olympus OM for rhinopias

Started by tursiops ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

What lens for Olympus OM for rhinopias

15 posts
  1. I'm trying to translate all the FF talk in another thread to my Olympus 4/3.

    Apparently my 30mm macro will be my best bet for Rhinopias?

    My other choices are 60mm macro, 12-50 (43mm in macro setting), 14-42 with a CMC, and a WWL in front of the 14-42 for CFWA.

    Going to Ambon for Rhinopias, want to do this right!

    Edited by tursiops
  2. I think your 30mm macro is the right choice. I have used both the 12-50 in macro mode and the 60 and they are both definitely too long, especially if the vis isn't great and you have to back off, unless you want a tight 3/4 portrait of one eye and the mouth! However if you have the port and gear for the 12-50 that enables zoom and macro, that would be ideal for both portraits and CFWA.

  3. I have used the 12-50 with my EM1 in normal zoom mode, electric zoom from the body in the Macro 65 port, for rhinopias in Bali and I had a macro diopter on too (Nauticam CMC) which gives 0.8 magnification at 50mm in case you see something interesting that is small.

  4. All taken with EM1 and 12-50 zoom.

    post-50926-0-48969400-1517964064_thumb.jpeg

    post-50926-0-61360900-1517964089_thumb.jpeg

    post-50926-0-07089100-1517964120_thumb.jpeg

  5. Is the 12-40 an option? I typically shoot mine behind a dome, but for night or low viz dives I put it in a flat port with a swing away diopter. I've gotten nice shots of critters down to about an inch long with this combo.

  6. The adult Rhinopias is about 6+ inches long. I used the 12-50 on the E-M5 (older mark I) in Indonesia. The water was fairly clear. I did not need macro close focus. What is the minimum focus distance for the 12-42?

    Edited by Deep6
  7. I recently bought the panasonic 12-35mm for rhinopias (I shoot video)

    Think this would be a bad choice?

     

    Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

  8. I recently bought the panasonic 12-35mm for rhinopias (I shoot video)

    Think this would be a bad choice?

     

    Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

    On the pany G5?

  9. On the pany G5?

    Oh the gh4 :)

     

    Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

  10. If you have a Pana Fisheye and the Nauticam 3.5" dome - take it with you!

  11. I've got the WWL-1 on the 14-42; that's my CFWA fall-back.

  12. The 12-40 would do fine on this subject focuses almost on the dome and achieves 0.3x magnification on the chip, so at 40mm that would have a subject 57mm long filling the chip from one edge to the other (horizontally). Very sharp lens at all focal lengths.

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  13. I have used both the Olympus 60mm and the 30mm on Rhinopias

     

    60mm

    41899724761_9bb6802502_b.jpgRhiprofile by Interceptor121, on Flickr

     

    30mm

    41899977851_f60db60fc1_b.jpgPurpleside by Interceptor121, on Flickr

     

    In my opinion for shooting a single one of the size I had both lens work fine and if you have the 60mm you don't need to invest in a 30mm

     

    However for two subjects the 30mm allows you to get closer reducing the possibility of photobombing form other fish that I find to be a more significant issue to backscatter. One thing I do not like is the wide field of view so the background looks always busier

     

    60mm

    41899730351_d308bef6f6_b.jpgFound you by Interceptor121, on Flickr

    30mm

     

    40092702190_a7291c345e_b.jpgBack again by Interceptor121, on Flickr

     

    Ultimately the work can be done with both lenses however once you put the 30mm on you are severely limited to larger subject as for small stuff that moves the working distance is too close and the critter may move

     

    I don't have the 45mm but I think that lens is probably the best compromise in terms of working distance and field of view but it it expensive

    Edited by Interceptor121
  14. As I wrote before, a fisheye lens is another option.

    post-5673-0-60737000-1525623407_thumb.jpg

  15. As I wrote before, a fisheye lens is another option.

    You are lucky as he didn’t move. I see rhinopias getting agitated and starting to move when approached too close

    But indeed fisheye is good for wam of frogfish and other slow moving

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.