Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

HELP! Olympus C-5060 or Olympus C-8080?????

Started by pirnerak ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

HELP! Olympus C-5060 or Olympus C-8080?????

4 posts
  1. HELP! Olympus C-5060 or Olympus C-8080?????

    Am looking to switch to digital camera for underwater. I have been using a Sea & Sea Motor Marine II with a strobe, wide angel lens and view finder. I dive once a year and am tired of my SLOW learning curve.

     

    I have heard good things regarding the C-5060 but am actually looking at the bigger camera C-8080. I also want to use this camera on land for kids, scenery, and sporting events. I currently have an Olympus C-730 and it is too much like a point and shoot. I want one with more options and control on land that will also do well underwater.

     

    Could you also recomend a strobe/housing for it.

     

    thanks

  2. I own a 5060. In terms of features I love it, but in terms of build quality (as well as auto-focus speed/reliability and shutter lag) I which I had something better. Unfortunately I don’t know what that would be – I don’t want an SLR.

     

    I also have a PT-020 housing. It’s the same basic design and choice of materials as all other cheap housings sold by camera manufacturers. I feel that with a camera like the 5060 that concept has reached its limit, and would not consider it for the 8080.

     

    I don’t know what I would buy today. Possibly a 5060 (after all) but with an Ikelite hosusing, and in that case I would definitely get an Ikelite strobe to get TTL.

     

    Light&Motion is another more expensive alternative. Their stuff looks really cool (only seen pictures) but I get the feeling they build first class housings for crap cameras.

     

    /Anders

  3. Thanks, your pixs are great! Equinox said they were coming out with a housing for it in September. How do you decide on what strobe to buy? There seems to be alot to choose from.

  4. Great pics Anders

    which ones were taken using your 5060?

    love the lions in Egypt April 2005 the contrasting blue background really makes the fish stand out.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.