Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Workflow question re: versions/formats

Started by Cp ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Workflow question re: versions/formats

11 posts
  1. Workflow question re: versions/formats

    I keep bumping into the same problem when developing my workflow: how to handle multiple versions/formats for the same image. For example, suppose I decide I want to store image X. The first version I want stored is the original, for example, X.nef. From that, I may create a working copy, X.psd, a large sized jpeg X.jpg, and a couple of smaller jpegs for web display, X-1024.jpg and X-600.jpg. This is just an example, there might be other formats or sizes involved also.

     

    How do ya'll keep track of all of this? I'm looking at iView Pro, and it doesn't seem to be any help in this regard. So far, I have been tracking it manually, creating directories and renaming files to keep all of the formats around that I want, but there has got to be a better way. To complicate things a little more, it'd be really nice to have a sort of version control system, too (like in programming) where I can keep older version of files around, and maybe keep track of what files I've sent to whom. Oh, and while I'm at it, I'd also like a smart backup system for it all.

     

    So... how do you handle this?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Cp

  2. I have been doing it the same way you are, subfolders.

     

    Your want for a version tracking method sounds interesting, as I have just been using a v# at the tail of the filename. However, I only do that with the PSDs used to create "final" tiffs or downrezed jpegs.

  3. I agree that the version numbering thing only really needs to be done with the PSD's, but I bet I could think of some situation where I might want it for other formats, especially, for example, a couple of years from now when I find I am better at Photoshop than I am now....

     

    I wish the PSD format had a (lossless) compression built into it. If I was shooting jpg instead of raw, I'd consider keeping the original and maybe some of the versions embedded in the psd, but those psd's are big as it is.

     

    Now, if Photoshop would just run on a Vax, we'd have the versioning thing whipped.

     

    Cp

  4. My thinking there is that I still have the original raw file. I don't believe I will ever go away from raw, so a PSD can be "recreated" at any time.

  5. Re: Workflow question re: versions/formats

    To complicate things a little more, it'd be really nice to have a sort of version control system, too (like in programming) where I can keep older version of files around, and maybe keep track of what files I've sent to whom.

     

    So why not use one of them? I use CVS (http://www.cvshome.org) to manage all of my software development, as well as word documents, spreadsheets, pdfs. It works perfectly fine for images that are a part of my development projects and should work equally as fine for photographers. Of course, in typical open source fashion, it's cludgy for non techies to learn, but for your use it should be straightforward.

     

    I am in the process of designing an image storage server (in my copious amounts of free time :roll: ) and it will most likely utilize CVS for versioning.

  6. OK, well - I'll tell you guys what I do and then y'all can tell me why I shouldn't do it that way...:-)

     

    I have a folder for each trip where I dump all of the RAW files on a dive by dive basis (so it contains dive 1 dive 2, etc. If I want, I can drop a txt file in there that tells dive site, etc.).

     

    Next, I browse the files in ACR and use the ACR preview to judge the composition and lighting. I FLAG the good ones. After that, I display only flagged files.

     

    I create a new folder in the trip file and call it Keepers. I browse through the flagged files and open and convert them to TIFF's and sharpen, etc. I save the TIFFs in the Keepers folder.

     

    Next I create a folder called Web. I used a Photoshop action to resize (400 x 600) and sharpen all the TIFFs and save them as Jpegs in the Web file.

     

    So all of the files have the same name, (ie DSCN2112_jwiseman.xxx) but different extensions.

     

    Then I upload the files in the Web directory to my online gallery. It's pretty easy to manage. When someone sees one one on my website that they want, I just ask for the filename.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    I don't yet use an Asset Management program yet,

  7. Except for the names of the folders, that is exactly what I do. The only versioning I was looking at was for the original PSD, and I also have a folder for print versions. Lets call that the "creative" folder!

  8. I don't see the point of the PSD files. With RAW conversion correct there is little need to make new layers in the new file. At least that's my opinion. Big layered PSD files also take up a lot of space and RAM.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. James,

     

    So what format do you save your raw files in? TIFF? TIFF with LZW compression? A non-compressed TIFF is about the same size as a PSD.

     

    With PSD's, you can save things like levels layers, selections, masks, etc, and those things don't take up mush space. If PSD had a built-in compression like TIFF, that'd would be the way to go, imo.

     

    Cp

  10. I don't use levels layers, selection masks etc on a routine basis. In fact, with the excellent RAW converters available it is MUCH better to adjust exposure (levels) before the RAW conversion.

     

    I save as LZW compressed TIFF.

     

    Try making a 16 bit TIFF with a few layers in it if you don't think they are bigger...;-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. Yes, good point about levels. I can see using TIFF as the main storage format. Still, I can foresee sometimes when I'd want to save the PSD, but perhaps not often.

     

    Do you save your TIFF's as 16-bit? I just tried a little experiment, saving a 16bit file from NEF:

     

    PSD: 34.5 MB

    TIFF Uncompressed: 34.5 MB

    TIFF LZW: 41.8 MB

    TIFF ZIP: 32.2 MB

     

    That was weird, so I tried it again with a different photo and got similar results, but not as dramatic. If I pick a shot with less range, then the LZW size comes down [edit: somewhat]. I tried the same photos with 8 bit, and the LZW size was less than half of the uncompressed. It looks like Photoshop's version of LZW, at least on my setup, doesn't do well at all with 16 bit images.

     

    Cp

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.