Hello,
Looking for options in a medium zoom lens upgrade from the Oly 14-42 II. I shoot EM5 in a nauticam housing / ports, dual Z-240's, big blue focus/video lights, ULCS arms. I travel with all of this in a backpack as a carry on and it all fits great which I'd prefer not change, but if I had to could build out a carry on roller into a camera carry on so all would fit.
My lens collection for UW at the moment is:
Panny 60mm macro (w/ 36163 port)
Panny 8mm fisheye (w/ 36132 dome port)
Oly 14-42 II (using the Panny 60mm port so I don't have to travel with 3 ports)
Just got back from 2 weeks in Philippines where the 14-42 was mainly used and I'm just not super excited about the sharpness and quality of it. Here are things I'm considering, open to others as well!
12-50 Oly - From what I understand this lens isn't that much better than the 14-42 and cost of switching isn't worth it. Yes, it does give some benefit of going a bit wider and option to do macro as well but the cost for the port to do so doesn't appear to be worth the results
12-40 Oly Pro - Great top side lens, haven't heard much about performance underwater. On the pro side of it should be excellent picture quality. On the minus side would need another port and have to carry three now (separate ports for 60mm, 8mm and now the 12-40mm) which is going to impact the ability to fit everything in the backpack.
WWL-1: Have heard this wet lens in front of the 14-42 provides some great results. On the minus side, this is quite expensive and only underwater use, would still need to carry not only this lens but also an addl port (which I have) adding the proper 14-42 port along with the 8mm dome and 60mm macro. Everything may not fit.
What other options are out there to improve this focal range which I haven't considered or are one of the above my best bet?
Thanks for the input!