Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens advice for A6000

Started by snow25 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens advice for A6000

2 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I've done some searching but haven't really found the help I was hoping for. I've just started using a Sony A6000 in a meikon/seafrogs housing with a couple of Inon Z240's. I was hoping to get some advice on which of the following lenses (which I currently own) people would recommend for wide angle, fish portraits, and macro. All three lenses fit in the housing. I may upgrade housing and/or add more lenses in the future, but I'm about to head to Thailand for a cousin's wedding and have 2-3days of diving booked in so was looking for advice on best utilising what I currently have. The lenses are:

    • Sony E 16-50/3.5-5.6 kit lens. I realise this lens is not optically brilliant but will 'do the job' in most cases.
    • Sony E 35/1.8. Great prime lens on land; not sure of the best use for it underwater though.
    • Sigma 19/2.8. Very good wide angle lens on land; good for wide angle underwater?

    Any help is much appreciated.

  2. Hi, I use the A6000 in Meikon housing with one Sea&Sea YS-01 strobe. I initially used the 16-50 kit lens at 16mm which was OK but then got the Sigma 19mm 2.8. It's very sharp but a bit slower to focus than the sony kit lens. That said, I've never really missed a shot because of it. The 19mm on the crop sensor a6000 makes it around 28mm equivalent, which I've found is great for shark shots. Not so good for the wide angle effect. For that I got a Meikon wet lens dome port. I put it on a 67mm flip adapter so I wasn't stuck with one or the other before a dive. Short of spending a lot of money to completely upgrade my system, I'm happy with the results.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.