Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Palau GH5

Started by matdiver1234 ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Palau GH5

13 posts
  1. https://vimeo.com/257754338

     

    My first time in the ocean with this cam., so I'd really appreciate any constructive criticism.

     

    Shot mainly in 4K 50p, very little colour grading due to MWB, but exposure adjusted on quite a few of the shots.

     

    Pana PZ 14-42 lens.

     

    Cheers,

    Matt

  2. Well done. Some very nice shark and manta shots. your water is bit violet at times. The sound track is a matter of taste I guess ;-))

  3. Is it a plain 14-42mm lens without WWL-1?

     

    Looks good. Even for me, watched on TV, water is a bit violet sometimes ;)

  4. Thx for the comments!

    About the violet water - my holy grail is absolute minimal colour grading in post, because grading slows editing and rendering. Unfortunately, on this trip I did something a bit stupid before a whole bunch of dives which was to experiment with setting the saturation in camera to +2. I guess I need to do some more colour grading after all.... If the grading works well, then I'll replace the video.

    Davide - yep normal PZ 14-42, but it's behind Nauticam's WWL-compatible port (N85, GH5 variant). There is maybe 1mm at most between the front of the lens and the port. There are certainly better quality lenses, but it's small, cheap, versatile, and you can control the zoom electronically with a Fn button. The manta close-ups were at 42mm.

     

    Matt

  5. I think you did well actually getting the shots, some nice stuff and most of it is nice and steady. As far as post production is concerned for me the choice of music is terrible, don't get me wrong I like dance music for diving vids but that song is so flat and boring, which kind of lead me to lose interest even though the content is good

  6. No need to be scared by color correction. Its just an essential necessity for any underwater work - and in fact for a lot of overland shooting as well. You will hardly find a single minute of professional film makng, be it in TV, movies or documentary that has not been adjusted compared to what came out of the camera.

     

    Look at all those beautiful pics of our friends in the photo section of this board. All of them have been corrected!

    Edited by bubffm
  7. Many thanks for the comments, it's really a big help to have this feedback!

     

    Matt

  8. Matt, did you/have you used any filters with your GH5?

  9. kun1 - yes, red filter from Aditech/Mangrove, that I got with my old 10 Bar/GH2 setup. Screws onto the front of the port (M67).

    Using a filter is like a night and day difference, especially below about 8m;

  10. yes, but the filter may well be reason for your violet water. When I was still with Sony cameras I used Filters because Sony WB is just so bad. I dont see that need with the GH5.

    Edited by bubffm
  11. @bubffm yeah, you may be right. Only way to be sure is to go on another dive trip and do some more testing...

    Anyway, I've done a revised version with colour correction now, and a different soundtrack of course ;-)

     

    https://vimeo.com/257754338

     

    Matt

    Edited by matdiver1234
  12. Love the new one (I didn't get to see the original)

     

    The majority of the shot were really nicely done in terms of colour. :good:

     

    Palau is on my list.

  13. Matt

    Nice - That is a real improvement.

    Cheers

    Steve

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.