Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

GoPro on Cold Shoe or Arm?

Started by BurBunny ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

GoPro on Cold Shoe or Arm?

7 posts
  1. I normally shoot a Canon DLSR with dual arms and strobes. However, sometimes I want a more simple rig when diving for fun or travel and photography isn't the primary objective. To this end, am housing my Sony MX-100 to go with my GoPro, shooting ambient or with a video light.

     

    Looking for opinions on mounting the GoPro via cold shoe immediately above camera or on arm. Am thinking I'd prefer the options available on an arm, plus the balance, but would like input.

     

    Also, haven't seen any mounts which are designed for ULCS arms. Any help with that?

     

    -Amber

  2. Hi,
    think i have seen a Gopro ball mount, so connecting it with an arm should be no problem.

    What about a tray where you can mount them next to each other?
    Makes handling during a video scene easier, i would think, than an arm outside the middle...

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  3. There's also the option of an adhesive mount to the top of your dome shade (assuming your dome has one). This has worked for me in the past and was easy to frame the video. I would just worry that positioning it farther behind the dome on the cold shoe mount would cause the top of the dome to enter the frame. Maybe others have used their Go Pro's this way and it's not a problem.

  4. There is a 1" ball mount from ULCS and maybe others. I use an ULCS AC-NB to mount the GoPro off a handle and use the cold shoe for a focus/video light.

  5. If you can 3d print or know someone who can, there are files available on thingverse for 1" go-pro ball mounts. I printed one last week and tried it out yesterday (Sunday). I used the macro port mount on my Nauticam and it worked great.

     

    I also tried a helmet strap mount and it was also great. I added a chin strap for extra security.

  6. On my 60mm Macro Port (Nauticam) there is a Cold Shoe (looks like a Hot Shoe flash cradle) that I mount my Go Pro on while shooting Macro..


    So on dives where I am shooting Stills, I can easily turn on the Go Pro quickly when the Pygmy Octopus Riding the Juvenile Whale Shark inevitably swims by.


    You can buy a COLD SHOE and epoxy it to anything you want to mount your Go Pro to....

  7. I had the goPro mounted on the ball mount tread in the center of the housing (Hugyfot has no cold shoe).
    This worked fine with the Hugyfot Minidome and i prefer this position as i know where the GoPro is pointing to.

    Using a long flat port or a big (wet lens) dome it may be visible to the GoPro, in this case either a arm or a solution to mount on the port will be necessary.

    The other solution will be a GoPro ball mount, a coldshoe ball mount and one of the long clamps,
    using the long clamp you can move the GoPro further foreward than without or with a normal short clamp.

     

    I don't buy anymore normal "short" clamps as the longer ones are much more flexible and if using thick floats twin arms can be folded together.

     

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.