Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Anilao 4k

Started by Pajjpen ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Anilao 4k

12 posts
  1. A video I shot during a weeks stay in Anilao. First ever dedicated macro trip.

    I very much welcome constructive criticism!

     

  2. Awesome film, Pajjpen! Sharp focus and great stability. I am curious to know how much of this was captured using a tripod vs. freehand. I loved the supermacro shots of the seahorse at 2:04 and the wire coral shrimp at 3:34. I also really liked the nudibranch shots starting at 2:31 where they stand out against the dark background. I am sure that Dustin Adamson would be proud!

     

    Your filming skills are much greater than mine so I do not have any advice to offer in that regard. However, as a viewer, I like to see some action shots interspersed with the still macro footage to liven up the pace. I also like a few establishing shots above and below the water to set the context. You have a lot of great footage so I imagine that you may have foregone this to keep your film under the 4-minute mark. In any case, great work!

  3. Awesome film, Pajjpen! Sharp focus and great stability. I am curious to know how much of this was captured using a tripod vs. freehand. I loved the supermacro shots of the seahorse at 2:04 and the wire coral shrimp at 3:34. I also really liked the nudibranch shots starting at 2:31 where they stand out against the dark background. I am sure that Dustin Adamson would be proud!

     

    Your filming skills are much greater than mine so I do not have any advice to offer in that regard. However, as a viewer, I like to see some action shots interspersed with the still macro footage to liven up the pace. I also like a few establishing shots above and below the water to set the context. You have a lot of great footage so I imagine that you may have foregone this to keep your film under the 4-minute mark. In any case, great work!

    Thanks! I appreciate it.

    All my shots are with an xit404 tripod :) I too am a big fan of the dark backgrounds, and Dustin has been an inspiration to that for sure!

    I get your point about action shots but during my stay there was no good opportunity to shoot wide angle as the conditions were bad (I did however do some fake camera movements to liven the shots up a bit)

    As far as shots above the water I had planned to use my drone but it malfunctioned and didn’t work properly for the whole duration of the trip, hopefully fixed by may when I head to lembeh and Ambon.

     

    You’re right tho, a lot of footage and trying to keep it at a maximum of 4 mins is hard sometimes, one of those good problems to have haha!

  4. Wow I enjoyed that greatly. I think you have a real talent for macro. The exposure and lighting are spot on and some very interesting framing.

    I loved how you can see the eyes inside the mantis shrimps eggs.

     

    Cheers

    Steve

  5. Wow I enjoyed that greatly. I think you have a real talent for macro. The exposure and lighting are spot on and some very interesting framing.

    I loved how you can see the eyes inside the mantis shrimps eggs.

     

    Cheers

    Steve

    Thank you swink, I appreciate it!

    I did enjoy macro a lot, doing more in May!

     

     

    Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

  6. A pleasure to watch!

  7. I'll echo what everyone else said. Particularly liked that you included some on-blue background shots.

  8. Hi,
    great shots!
    Have you used "my" 60mm? Or what lens / diopter combination?
    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  9. I'll echo what everyone else said. Particularly liked that you included some on-blue background shots.

    Thank u very much. Yeah the seahorse shots are some of my favorite :)

     

    Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

    Hi,

    great shots!

    Have you used "my" 60mm? Or what lens / diopter combination?

    Regards,

    Wolfgang

    Haha I did! I used your 60mm along with a subsee +5. Getting a subsee +10 for the next trip and will try to get some closer closeups

     

    Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

  10. Very impressive opening!!

    Love it

  11. This is insanely impressive, I love the black background and the pure emotions you get out of them by framing the fish completely. Very well done.

     

    Seems like the Subsee +5 will do for most conditions? My smallest subject would probably be "shaun the sheep" or the blenny, and it seems OK for that?

     

    I have a 105mm on a crop.

     

    Did you use a 60mm on a crop with a +5?

  12. This is insanely impressive, I love the black background and the pure emotions you get out of them by framing the fish completely. Very well done.

     

    Seems like the Subsee +5 will do for most conditions? My smallest subject would probably be "shaun the sheep" or the blenny, and it seems OK for that?

     

    I have a 105mm on a crop.

     

    Did you use a 60mm on a crop with a +5?

    Thank you! I also am a fan of the black backgrounds haha.

    Yeah the +5 will do as long as u can get close enough, some Shaun the sheeps were too small but if u find a bigger one like I did it’s fine.

     

    I’m using a 60mm Olympus on a mft body with the +5 when I need it, so its a 120mm 35mm equivalent.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.