So my wife and i have been out of diving for a while, had a kid 7 years ago and no more scuba trips. But I do have the opportunity on an upcoming business trip to spend about four days diving, so planning to go to Tulamben for wreck and muck diving.
I have an aging but sturdy D70s Ikelite housing and DS51 strobe setup. It's worked reliably in the past, never flooded. I've had a D7000 camera for several years, and saw a good deal on a brand new Ikelite D7000 housing, about 35% off retail. My strobes and old ports (60mm, 105mm, Tokina 11-18) should all be compatible, since this is still their legacy FL (four lock) system. It's still over $1000 for the new housing though.
I noticed that Ikelite has in recent years introduced their DL housings and DL dry-lock port system. Question is, is it worth it to upgrade from an ancient camera to a slightly less ancient - but still aging - camera, with the legacy FL system?
I expect that after this trip, I may only have a couple of dive opportunities in the next few years, but as my kid gets older we'll be able to go to vacation places where my wife and I can dive again, and eventually my daughter will be able to dive after that. My worry is that by that point the D7000 will be pretty ancient, the Ikelite FL system may be pretty ancient history as well, and if I do start getting more diving trips, that I'd be wanting to upgrade regardless of D7000 vs D70s.
Another question, the D7000 appears to be brand new - and comes with the orange tray handles. However, the orange foam has whitened somewhat, and I think this housing may have been manufactured 5-7 years ago and has been sitting in a warehouse for many years. I'm worried whether the o-rings and seals have become dry or brittle with that much time. I can do a dunk test, but I'll have no chance to test it at pressure or depth til I get to Indonesia.
Do folks think it's leak integrity is still sound sitting for many years? (Similar could be said for my current setup, but at least I don't worry if I flood my D70s at its age.)