Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

On Fisheye Lenses and Teleconverters

Started by noelguevara ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

On Fisheye Lenses and Teleconverters

5 posts
  1. I learned the fisheye + TC technique from none other than Alex Mustard, seeing its benefits when shooting sharks and WAM. Just like Alex, I used the Sigma 15mm + Kenko 1.4x combination, mainly because of the former's ability to focus really close.

     

    With the advent of new lenses, I'm wondering if this works with other brands/combinations. I'm waiting for my new Nikkor 8-15mm 3.5-4.5 fisheye that focuses just as close as the Sigma, and I'll try how it performs with the Kenko 1.4x TC. I'm wondering, though, if it will work just as well with the Nikkor 1.4x TC-14E III and will it have additional benefits (aside from being thinner than the Kenko).

     

    Thoughts?

  2. What's the advantage of using a fisheye lens with a teleconverter? To the uninitiated (i.e. me) it just turns a 15mm into a 21mm but I'm guessing there's more to it than that...

  3. First question to ask is will it fit, The nikon TC seems to have a slightly projecting front element which may intefere with the gel filter holder on the lens.

  4. The Nikon TC will not fit. Not only it does have a protruding front element, but it's 'keyed' so that it will only mount on tele primes (incl 105mm macro) & 70-200mm. It is optically far superior to the Kenko and is probably 1.5-2x the size with much more glass inside. I own both but the Kenko's out on loan so I can't do a comparison photo. The Kenko can be used on any lens though.

  5. What's the advantage of using a fisheye lens with a teleconverter? To the uninitiated (i.e. me) it just turns a 15mm into a 21mm but I'm guessing there's more to it than that...

    Two scenarios where is it used: WAM where it gives you more reach while still having a wide coverage, and when shooting sharks. As I learned from Alex, sharks shot on fisheye lenses have a bubble head effect, where the heads bloat when closer to camera. Rectilinear lenses however, stretch and thin out sharks. TC + FE gives a very pleasing middle ground.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    First question to ask is will it fit, The nikon TC seems to have a slightly projecting front element which may intefere with the gel filter holder on the lens.

    Ah good point.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    The Nikon TC will not fit. Not only it does have a protruding front element, but it's 'keyed' so that it will only mount on tele primes (incl 105mm macro) & 70-200mm. It is optically far superior to the Kenko and is probably 1.5-2x the size with much more glass inside. I own both but the Kenko's out on loan so I can't do a comparison photo. The Kenko can be used on any lens though.

    Thank you for this. I ended up getting the 8-15 and it does fit on the kenko. Now I know I shouldn’t get the nikon one. This helps a lot, appreciate it.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.