Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anyone using Sea&Sea Buoyancy Handle (Plastic)

Started by thetrickster ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone using Sea&Sea Buoyancy Handle (Plastic)

14 posts
  1. So...

     

    I was searching online for some options on long arms for WA and for whatever reason

     

    This came up in my search:

     

    post-43742-0-95277000-1523113460_thumb.jpg

     

    http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/digital_slr/accessory/024.html#46124

     

    Yes, looks a bit silly (someone no doubt gonna try and take a call on it...) but it did get my thinking....

     

    The yellow variant

    post-43742-0-85664600-1523113815_thumb.jpg

    is perfect for big rigs where you want to hand off your equipment to boat handlers and I'm always trying to point to a part they can take it from me with, with this handle, its large, bright and can't be missed.

     

    Before I spend £150 on one (yes crazy price eh) - wondering if anyone is using one, had one etc?

    Edited by thetrickster
  2. I, too, like the idea of a handle like this, but that price is crazy.

  3. I, too, like the idea of a handle like this, but that price is crazy.

     

    Yeah, I've found it online in Taiwan very cheap 70e (DiverVision.com - which I've used before), but the import duties (and shipping) when it arrives, make it just as expensive.

  4. Crikey, like many on this forum, I love lots of bits of kit, but even by camera/dive standards that really is a crazy price for a chunk of plastic.

     

    It's so easy too to make your own handle with a bit of Paracord weaving - instructions are on YouTube etc. You can make whatever length you want with whatever colours you fancy. Heck, make lots of them and be able to choose one to match your mood, the tone of the ocean, the trim on your BCD.......

     

    The Paracord plus two stainless steel shackles costs about $20. I reckon it took me about 20 minutes to make one and, believe me, I'm no Boy Scout knotter. :crazy: My handle is a shade of yellow that matches the Subal handle perfectly. And it's very easy for boat crew to grab.

    And, I learnt how to knot in the process.....

  5. Crikey, like many on this forum, I love lots of bits of kit, but even by camera/dive standards that really is a crazy price for a chunk of plastic.

     

    It's so easy too to make your own handle with a bit of Paracord weaving - instructions are on YouTube etc. You can make whatever length you want with whatever colours you fancy. Heck, make lots of them and be able to choose one to match your mood, the tone of the ocean, the trim on your BCD.......

     

    The Paracord plus two stainless steel shackles costs about $20. I reckon it took me about 20 minutes to make one and, believe me, I'm no Boy Scout knotter. :crazy: My handle is a shade of yellow that matches the Subal handle perfectly. And it's very easy for boat crew to grab.

    And, I learnt how to knot in the process.....

     

    Agreed on pricing, admit it - if it was $20 you would be all over it..hehehe

     

    As to making stuff, I can design stuff, 3d print stuff, but actually do anything creative with my hands - forget it! LOL

  6. Richard, believe me, if I can weave a handle, anyone can!

     

    If it was $20 would I be all over it? Hmmmmm :crazy:

     

    Actually I have to sell a whole stack of stuff before I can buy even a o-ring.......

  7. Hi,
    i simply use a double sided piston clip, like you get it with a finger spool / reel, to clip my two strobe arms together. Simply clip it into both fixing screws, thats it. I like the stainless version, because thats easy to see for the boat crew.
    And second use is to fix the neopren port cap, for the fisheyedome, so i can take off the protection after jumping / handling in, and attach it before the rig goes out of the water without loosing it. And at least you can use it to fix / clip the rig to your jacket if needed.
    Ceap and helpfull.
    Regards,
    Wolfgang

    Edited by trimix125
  8. In the end (due to lift requirements - 280g not enough for the space it takes up)

     

    I’ve gone for two 90dia nauticam carbon aluminium floats with a long clamp in between and replaced the thumb adjuster for a nut so its more handle like...

     

    Still like the idea of some colour mind to attract people’s attention.

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. In the end (due to lift requirements - 280g not enough for the space it takes up)

    I’ve gone for two 90dia nauticam carbon aluminium floats with a long clamp in between and replaced the thumb adjuster for a nut so its more handle like...

    Still like the idea of some colour mind to attract people’s attention.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Curious to see how that looks, do you have any pics?
  10. Curious to see how that looks, do you have any pics?

     

    Will post up some photos once its all together :)

  11. If you want something that float to help lift your gear, see if can use bottle like this as handle:

     

    stock-photo-aluminum-bottle-water-isolat

    I saw DIY float using the aluminum bottle and it won't bend even down to 120 ft. It you be double duty as hydration bottle when you travel on the road/airport.

     

    If just want paracord handle, I do just like Tim suggested to make my own, except I use glow in the dark paracord. so when I get into deep water, night dive etc, the handle glow. (the handle get to charge under the sun while doing surface interval)

  12. So...

     

    I was searching online for some options on long arms for WA and for whatever reason

     

    This came up in my search:

     

    attachicon.gif2579-4-bouyancyhandle.jpg

     

    http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/digital_slr/accessory/024.html#46124

     

    Yes, looks a bit silly (someone no doubt gonna try and take a call on it...) but it did get my thinking....

     

    The yellow variant

    attachicon.gif46124_ph_detail.jpg

    is perfect for big rigs where you want to hand off your equipment to boat handlers and I'm always trying to point to a part they can take it from me with, with this handle, its large, bright and can't be missed.

     

    Before I spend £150 on one (yes crazy price eh) - wondering if anyone is using one, had one etc?

    This looks okay but only offers 0.6 lbs of buoyancy. I'm currently using using a ultralight arm with 4x floats and doubles as a handle as well. Puts buoyancy where its needed but covers up the hotshoe mount.

     

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

  13. Hi,
    i use a pair of Inon Flaot arms ML after the handles, and then a pair of ULCS arms with 3 floating elements before the strobes.
    That workes fine with my Hugyfot housing, and the long macro port or the FE port. Flips a bit with the second one, but thas ok.
    Still a tiny bit negative, but thats fine if you stay 3 times an hour every day while your trip.
    Strobes are either Z 240s in asia, or S&S 250s in mediterian sea. Then a bit more negative ;-))

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  14. Hand made from Divinycell foam.

    Folds flat with standard ultralite clamps.

    Cut to neural float Subal/NikonD500/2xInon 240z strobes.

    Cost - $US20, less clamps..post-6133-0-19874700-1526354342_thumb.jpgpost-6133-0-60116000-1526354415_thumb.jpg

    Edited by okuma
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.