Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Basic: Fogging. When, where & how to load housing?

Started by sbillotte ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Basic: Fogging. When, where & how to load housing?

5 posts
  1. Basic: Fogging. When, where & how to load housing?

    Should you put the camera in the housing at ambient temp/hum ie on-deck or in an A/C environment where it is drier and cooler. My concern is condensation and fogging.

  2. I've done both. In theory it's better if you do it in a cool dry room. Just don't open the housing after you leave the room.

  3. Re: Basic: Fogging. When, where & how to load housing?

    Should you put the camera in the housing at ambient temp/hum ie on-deck or in an A/C environment where it is drier and cooler.  My concern is condensation and fogging.

     

    I always put the camera in the housing before I leave in the morning. I figure the air in my A/C'd house/hotel is going to be less humid than outside. I also keep a little silica gel packet in the housing all the time -- even when I'm diving with it. But, I think the important part is to keep the camera/housing out of the sun and cool before you dive. I think a hot camera/housing going into water is what causes fogging/condensation on the inside.

  4. I always load my equipment in my hotel also, but I'm very careful not to let the camera and housing get too cold from the AC....I typically cover them with a towel or put them in the closet to keep from being blown on by the AC vents

     

    If the camera is "frosty"...extreme exaggeration :D ....then it will definitely fog when you take it outside....if that happens, I open the housing outside...in the shade...and let everything warm up together....never have problems after that

     

    Karl

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.