Hi Paul,
Perhaps I am somewhat mis stating this although I'm not sure...
The world's most popular SLR fisheye lens for underwater is the Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5, which produces (surface) images that are really not great!
The Nikon 16-35m f/4 performs much better behind a dome port than the infinitely superior (on land) Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8. Actually, the 14-24mm underwater is shockingly bad....
One of the best rectilinear wide angle lenses that I have found for Nikon FX underwater is a legacy Tokina 17mm f/3.5. It outperforms the Nikon 20mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 20mm f/1.4. Both of these lenses are infinitely superior to it on land....
Lens performance behind a dome port is unpredictable. Some great lenses work poorly and some not so great lenses work very well. Of course the same is true vice versa. The point is that it is impossible to predict a lens performance behind a dome port without trying it....
Adam