Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Reflective prism for flash trigger

Started by landlocked ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Reflective prism for flash trigger

3 posts
  1. Hello

    Looking for some insight into understanding how a reflective prism might aid in the use of fiber optics with strobes. I searched for older posts on this forum as well as a google search. The only thing I found was that Nauticam offers or offered a reflective prism for flash trigger as well as an optical flash trigger. Any help understanding the differences between the two and how these work would be appreciated.

     

    Don

  2. Nauticam makes an optical trigger that sits on the hotshot and just fires the flash straight ahead. Since it doesn't have little LEDs that connect right to the optical bulkheads, you need to use the prism to redirect that straight ahead light, upward. The prism reflects the light up into the bulkheads. If you use a trigger that has the little LEDS you need to remove the prism and put the LEDs directly into the bulkheads. I have a Nauticam housing, but I'm using the UWTechnics TTL trigger so I removed the prism.

     

    If you download the user's manual here, it will tell you about removing the prism http://uwtechnics.com/index.php/online-store/ttl-converters/for-canon/ttl-converter-for-canon-for-nauticam-housings-detail

  3. Johnny Quest. Thank you for the useful information on this.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.