I'm considering either the 45 or 180 degree viewfinder for my Nauticam housing (Canon 5DmkIV.) The 45 degree seems like a good fit for macro shots, but how is it for wide angle? Any regrets going with the 45 for wide angle? Is it actually better than the 180 for wide angle? Not sure I'll get a chance to try before I buy.
I use the 45 for everything, incl WWL-1 and super-macro shots. Perfect for the latter, OK for the former.
I also use the 45-degree for both. Takes a bit of practice for macro, easy for WA.
I also use 45 degree for both . In CFWA the 45 viewfinder is very useful if you want shot up in limited space .
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to try one out this weekend in Catalina.
I liked it. I heard many people say that it takes around 5 dives to get used to it, but I took to it right away. I didn't try macro, just shot wide for three days. It was nice to clearly see the camera settings at the bottom of the viewfinder. I just ordered one.
Good move, Jeff!
I've had mine for about 10 years and would now never have a housing without one. If you took to it with WA straight away, you are going to love macro.
Glad that you took to the finder so quickly. It took me a bit of getting used to when shooting very small subjects in vertical orientation with a 105mm macro lens. I use the 45 degree finder for the vast majority of my shooting, but prefer the straight finder for over/unders and most free-diving.
Huh, you made me realize I don't think I've ever taken a macro shot in portrait. Just automatically go landscape for macro. Food for thought.
Yeah there was such great wide angle at Catalina last weekend that I never put the macro port on. We saw 3-7 giant sea bass on every dive.
45 is an essential tool for me now and I wouldn't consider trying to shoot without one,macro or wide. But there are limitations to its usefulness in wide and macro, namely shooting downward, and into the water column, esp at night. I think if you mainly shot downward, which is not something most people do anyway underwater, or did a lot of blackwater diving, I think a straight finder would be more suitable.
Just wondering, do you need to have your mask very close to the viewfinder? Or can you see it from a distance. I like having a little bit of overview of my surroundings.
I have had a 45 degree for 4 or 5 years and love it. I think there are some now with adjustable magnification. This would be great for macro as the old eyes just are not what they used to be.
First I had a 180 and thought it would be best....the result was always being to close to the ground / or gorgonias ....now I don't want to miss the 45er any more!