Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lost In Time (Junkers Ju 52 wreck)

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Lost In Time (Junkers Ju 52 wreck)

11 posts
  1. After two years of struggles I finally came back filming. Nothing special, just a short dive on a recently discovered wreck near Capri Island. A good chance to use for the very fisrt time my GH4. Average water visibility but pitch black so I bit the bullet and filmed everything at ISO 1250.

     

    The Junkers Ju 52/3m (nicknamed Tante Ju ("Aunt Ju") and Iron Annie) is a German trimotor transport aircraft manufactured from 1931 to 1952. In a military role, it flew with the Luftwaffe as a troop and cargo transport and briefly as a medium bomber. The Ju 52 continued in postwar service with military and civilian air fleets well into the 1980s.
    The wreck was discovered in the 2016 and lies at 72m (236ft) on a sandy bottom in the so called "Mouths of Capri", the channel between Capri Island and the mainland ( https://goo.gl/maps/QCha5zKrpa82).
    Identification and cause of loss are unknown so far.

     

    Shot on a Panasonic GH4 + Lumix 7-14mm; Nauticam Housing, 2x Keldan Luna 8 CRI + 2x Ulixes 12K Lumen lights (ulixesonline.com/).

    Music track "Guardian Angel" by Oliver Ledbury, licensed via Audio Network

     

    Cover photo by Marco Bartolomucci. You can check his amazing photos from the dive here: https://goo.gl/FgQhwL

     

     

  2. Hello DB

    Such a nice video congrulations

    Did marco use gh4 also for the photos?

    Thanks...

  3. Hi Luftu,

     

    Thanks.

    No. He is another Marco :)

    He shots with a Nikon D7100

  4. I had the pleasure flying in a JU52. But looks great as a wreck as well :notworthy:

  5. Beautifully done! Thanks for that.

     

    Craig

    humu797

    Waipahu, Hawaii

  6. I had the pleasure flying in a JU52. But looks great as a wreck as well :notworthy:

     

    Wow. As pilot or passenger?

    I thing the airplane was nearly intact before a trawling net nearly destroyed (and discovered) it.

    Unfortunately there's no protection at all and notwhitstang depth some cockpit instruments already miss since it was discovered two years ago :aggressive:

  7. Passenger. i dont have a license to fly,,,, And I am sure they would not let anyone take the front seat in such a precious asset. As far as I know there are only two flying JUs left in the world. Still an exciting experience.

     

    Its a shame these wrecks get slaughtered in such way after they are discovered.

    Edited by bubffm
  8. Very interesting. thx! I wished the shots were longer and more.

     

    What was your F stop with the 7-14mm??

  9. Very interesting. thx! I wished the shots were longer and more.

     

    What was your F stop with the 7-14mm??

     

    I wished too!

    It was a miracle after two years without filming I was able to get this in one dive. Unfortunately one of my buddies was in OC so after 27 minutes of bottom time he called the dive.

     

    I was F5 @ ISO1250 on all the shots except the close shot to the instrument panel where I closed at F8. The clip is still overexposed 'cause I still have to learn to make a good use of zebra pattern.

     

    Thanks

  10.  

    I wished too!

    It was a miracle after two years without filming I was able to get this in one dive. Unfortunately one of my buddies was in OC so after 27 minutes of bottom time he called the dive.

     

    I was F5 @ ISO1250 on all the shots except the close shot to the instrument panel where I closed at F8. The clip is still overexposed 'cause I still have to learn to make a good use of zebra pattern.

     

    Thanks

    F 5!? Wow! Lucky one! I dont even think about to set below f8/10 with the 7-14 on my setup. (blurred edges)
  11. F 5!? Wow! Lucky one! I dont even think about to set below f8/10 with the 7-14 on my setup. (blurred edges)

     

    At that depth for me it's normal. I'm lucky when I can close to 5.6. The question is to shot or not.

    This is the reason sometime I'm a bit polemic when I see here discussion between pixel peepers ;) In all honesty I'm envious :lol2:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.