Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Combi roller and backpack for DSLR setup

Started by sinetwo ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Combi roller and backpack for DSLR setup

7 posts
  1. Hi all, I've been looking around for a combi roller and backpack carry on luggage. The reason for this is that I'd like to roll it wherever I can, but getting on/off boats etc means backpack would be the better option.

     

    Does anyone have experience with such a hybrid soliton for a DSLR setup?

     

    Or are perhaps any of these suitable?

     

    1. https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Convertible-Rolling-Camera-Backpack/dp/B01G7QDWB4

     

    2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenba-Shootout-Medium-Rolling-Backpack/dp/B00IF4NJP6

     

    3. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Pro-Runner-450-Camera/dp/B00W8T2DPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526248455&sr=8-1&keywords=lowepro+pro+runne

  2. If the "AmazonBasics Convertible Rolling Camera Backpack" weighs 4.25kg - what do you want to put inside? Camera-Gear? Have fun at the airport...

     

    I use an EastPak "Hatchet" which itself is very lightweight (780g). With all the gear that I do not want to check-in it is well above the airlines cabin luggage weight restrictions (economy class) - but it does not look heavy! Absolutely no problems up to now...

  3. I would prefer a rollber/backpack hybrid, which is why i'm looking at all those options. Downside is: 1. price, 2. weight. Biggest downside is of course the weight.




    ...and that works well. But I'm looking for a lightweight hybrid that will allow wheeling around, but backpacking when necessary.



    These are some other options:





    ...but then I would also need to purchase camera inserts.


    Pros and cons, pros and cons.

  4. For anyone wondering, I went to a camera shop and compared the Lowepro pro runner x450 aw ii (what a mouthfull!) vs the Thinktank airport takeoff II believe it was called).

     

     

    Weight:

    LP slightly lighter than TT. Those panicking about it weighting 3-4kg without any content, let me assure you that any able person will be able to pick this up with ease. It does not feel like it weighs much.

     

    Features:

    LP has very similar features to TT. In fact I think LP's inside structure for laptops etc. is slightly better. However, the strap mechanism on the TT are better, as the LP must be hooked on to at the bottom, and this is a bit fiddly if you're not used to it.

     

    Price:

    LP new is around £240, TT new is £360+ I believe.

     

    Summary:

    I ended up getting the LP as the extra £100+ doesn't warrant the better strap mechanism, but also the added weight. LP also has a good inner system for laptops/tablets etc.

     

    It'll be good for rolling wherever possible, but to backpack it when required, e.g. dirt tracks/gravel and stairs.

     

    Hope this helps anyone in the same conundrum.

  5. No one is worries about the weight that sits on your back. Everyone is worried about the weight that is shown on the scales of the airport staff at check in.

     

    I recently weighed my kit and it came around to about 5.5kg including my ipad and headphones. Considering some airlines give you a measly 7kg of hand luggage allowance, I would not want a bag that weighs more than 2kg.

  6.  

    I would prefer a rollber/backpack hybrid, which is why i'm looking at all those options. Downside is: 1. price, 2. weight. Biggest downside is of course the weight.
    ...and that works well. But I'm looking for a lightweight hybrid that will allow wheeling around, but backpacking when necessary.
    These are some other options:
    ...but then I would also need to purchase camera inserts.
    Pros and cons, pros and cons.
    I have used lowepro similar model)not this one) extensively and still use it. It is cabin bag size so usually have never had a problem. I carry close to 12-14 kgs in this and except for once, have never had an issue. My housing, srobes and laptop along with other travel necessities, i carry in a haversack. While checking in i have my haversack on on shoulders (carrying about 9 kgs) and roller case as cabin bag.
    My travel primarily is in South East Asia, Egypt, South Africa and not Europe or US, which please note.
    Diggy

     

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.