Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

170mm Zen dome

Started by bear35 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

170mm Zen dome

5 posts
  1. Hi

     

    Has anyone used the 170mm Zen dome for the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED ?

     

    I have just noticed that the zen port chart say that it is compatible with the 170mm but my question is is there enough of a difference in quality to justify spending a lot more cash on the 230mm dome? Not to mention problems taking it abroad. Or is it just a case of bigger is better for this sort of lens?

  2. Any advice regarding the lens too if possible... Is it a good choice?

  3. Hi bear35

     

    If you dig around on WP I'm sure you'll find a series of posts about WA Nikkor lens and the Nikkor 10-24 by Adam Hanlon. I seem to recall Adam did a review of various WA options maybe 12-18 months ago. Again, if I remember rightly, the Nikkor 10-24 came out well for u/w use.

     

    My experience has been that DX lens are "generally" fine with a 170mm dome. It's the FX lenses that tend to need a 230 dome if you want sharp corners with a rectilinear lens.

  4. Hi Tim

     

    Thanks for the reply...

    I think I was actually reading that post before but couldn't find it again. I will have another search for it.

     

    Thanks

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.