Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

What resolution setting do you use?

Started by Pelzl ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

What resolution setting do you use?

13 posts
  1. I am new to digital UW photography. I just got a C4040Z and an Ikelite housing. I am waiting on Ikelite to catch up on production to get the external strobe. What resolution setting will give me a nice 8X10 but allow me to shoot a good number of shots on a 64MB or 128MB smartcard? I realize tiff is probably overkill but is HQ enough?

  2. Hi Pelzl,

     

    I shoot with HQ and I get over 100 images on a 128MB SM card and you can definitely good a good 8 x10 print. Also, if you shoot HQ, a 128MB SM card is good for 2 dives. Hope this helps...

     

    Allan

  3. Allan,

     

    Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity what megapixel setting do you use? I set the camera in HQ 2272X1704 and with a 64MB card it said I have 64 exposures.

     

    thanks,

     

    Jeff

  4. Jeff,

     

    I have a C4040Z and I shoot in HQ. What kind of camera do you have? If you have the C4040Z then 2272 x 1704 is the resolution you'll get when you shoot in HQ.

     

     

    Allan

  5. Allan,

     

    I too have the C4040Z. 2272X1704 is what I thought you were using but was not sure. I guess what I am trying to determine is go lower on the megapixel and use SHQ or stick with HQ at the higher setting. Based on what your first reply stated HQ seems like plenty of resolution.

     

    thanks,

     

    Jeff

  6. I suppose it depends on the application, but since the bits are recycled I always use the max res. You can always crop/resize later!

  7. I set mine to HQ mode and get 100 pictures on a 128MB card... that's more than enough for a few dives!

  8. Gee, now I don't have to ask the same question. Thanks.

     

    I'll be getting my first underwater pics from my C-4000/pt-010 this Saturday. I've got a borrowed Ikelite DS-50. I got my 128 Mbyte card and I'm all set.

     

    Now, what other settings shold I use on this camera? I know I should have the ISO set at 100. I presume that I should have the autofocus set on continuous, Macro should be on (though no macro lens). Shoot in Aperture priority.

     

    What else?

  9. Hi Mike,

     

    I suggest you try out the camera setup in a pool first - before taking it on a dive. The pooltest is free and will save you some major headaches on your dive - when you are already heavily "task loaded."

     

    Most importantly, have fun!

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. Mike,

     

    I'm kinda leery about the continuous AF... that may seriously affect your battery life. I've never tried it, but the camera would be doing a lot of focusing for an hour at a time.

     

    Also, you only want to turn Macro on when you are shooting Macro.

     

    Richard

  11. Richard -

    I've seen it suggested on this site and others to keep your camera set to macro. This tells you AF to focus near. Most images shot underwater have subjects near the lens, thus the macro suggestion. This also works for CFWA shots where there is subject matter near the lens and far from the lens - it forces the camera to focus close.

     

    Kasey

  12. It seems like I can get an hour using continuous focus, so that should be no problem. I will be using NiMH batteries, so cost is no concern.

     

    The Macro has been suggested since w/o close focus takes more time according to the manual and at long distances there does't seem to be a downside.

     

    I did take the camera to the pool and the lighting is so different that settings in that environment will be fairly useless. Macro and continuous focus worked well though.

     

    White balance, over/under exposure compensation, etc. I couldn't get a good read on. At least the camera is dry.

  13. Sounds like you've got it all figured out... nothing left to do but have fun and take great pix!

     

    Richard

    :D

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.