Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Larvae (?) from Red Sea

Started by BlackSir ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Larvae (?) from Red Sea

5 posts
  1. I found several of those ribbons on one particular night dive at Shaab Rumi, Sudan this March. What are they?

     

     

    post-31863-0-54629500-1528591338_thumb.jpg

  2. Hi Wolfgang,

     

    That thing actually was quite small, around 3-5 mm in diameter and about 20-50 cm in length. Thanks, for you suggestion, but Apolemia seems to be much bigger. I shared full size image here with a bit more details.

     

    Regards,

    Alex

  3. Hi Alex,
    still looks like a colony to mee ;-))
    I have zoomed in to a 100% and then you can see strings / connections like a stomach or something.
    An "egg" line would not have that. And i am not sure if any kind of salt water animal is laying lines like this.
    Most do balls, free floating single eggs, or maybe nudibranches with their "flower" style.

    There are a lot of hydroid colony animals, i am not an expert in this direction...
    Have yo tried to google "salp"?
    Maybe a baby colony of that?

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

    post-41021-0-51305800-1528903589_thumb.jpg

  4. Hi Wolfgang,

     

    Yes, I agree, it looks very much like a salp (juvenile probably). I searched though salps images, but never found this particular one. This is the closest I've found.

     

    Regards,

    Alex

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.