Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Seeking Tips for Shooting Video of Hawaii Manta Night Dive

Started by ReadyDiverOne ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Seeking Tips for Shooting Video of Hawaii Manta Night Dive

5 posts
  1. Hi all,

    Am looking for guidance re shooting video of the famous Big Island Manta Ray night dive, which I will be doing in July. I have the GoPro Hero Black 6, with the shallow and deep filters sold by Backscatter. I also have a Kraken 5000 lumen vid light, which as you may know is ridiculously powerful.

    My question is, should I use the shallow filter or not (I assume we won't be deep enough for the deep/dive filter). As you may know, Backscatter make a convincing case that, for day time shooting, one should use the dive filter AND a light for best results. Obviously, it's going to be dark for the manta dive, so I am thinking NO filter, right??

    Many thanks.

  2. It will be you and 150 other divers in a big circle at about 40'.

    Lots of strobes firing, video lights waving around and squids kicking up the bottom.

    Still, a marvelous happening - sit back and enjoy the action :good:

  3. No filters at night.

  4. No filter or else the underside of the rays will go red on you. If you have video lights, bring them, but someone else said conditions are a bit tough to shoot in between the dive ops bright lights and the 100 other divers.

  5. I had a blast with them last year, have fun. The best footage seems to be from the bottom looking up.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.