Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Ok to buy a Sony nex-7?

Started by downbelow ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Ok to buy a Sony nex-7?

7 posts
  1. Greetings,

    I'm currently using a canon g7x (original, not mk 2) and have thousands and thousands of snaps on it. A few even look good. It, and the fantasea housing, are beginning to give me trouble. (For example, getting good focus is becoming more difficult, and the camera freezes at depth - which I think is a housing problem caused by pressure on the controls. Both units are well used and tired.) To top it off, I'm just not happy with the g7x performance top side. It's time to move along.

    I have a chance to buy a sony nex-7, with 2 lenses and flat port, and a nauticam housing, both of which are represented to be low use and in excellent shape, at about 30% of the new price. If this is in fact true, is the nex-7 still worth buying? Or should I be looking in another direction? For about the same money I can get a Sony rx100v in a nauticam housing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Edited by downbelow
  2. It kind of depends - what kind of photographs do you want to take? What lenses and port does the NEX-7 kit come with? Any wet lenses in the deal? Overall, unless the NEX-7 comes with really nice lenses, I'd be inclined to go with RX100V. It has PDAF for faster focusing, much better burst capability, 4K video, up to 960fps slow-motion capture, and although the sensor is smaller, it incorporates five years' worth of improvements by Sony.

     

    If the NEX-7 comes with 18-55mm and/or 16-50mm lenses, then RX100V will have better image quality, and in order to go wide or macro, you'll need wet lenses with both of them, or a change of lenses/ports on NEX-7. If, however, the NEX-7 deal includes Sony 90mm macro (unlikely, but not impossible), then it's a whole different ballgame.

     

    For the reference, my personal choice is a Sony A6300 in a Meikon/SeaFrogs housing. While Nauticam's housings are certainly nice, I don't need the 100m depth capability or the wide-ranging lens support matrix.

    Edited by Barmaglot
  3. Thank you barmaglot for taking the time to give me a thoughtful answer. It's much appreciated!

  4. Hi,
    what is your goal?
    More macro or wde angle?
    The sensor of the Nex7 is much bigger than the RX100 series.
    My girl friend was using a MK2 and when she was seeing my pics from the DX Nikon D500, same megapixels, there are worlds between.
    If you dont want to make movies, or speeding dolphins take the Nex7.
    You can add the great Sony 90mm macro lens, or a fisheye and that gives a great results.
    And you can later step up to a A6300 or A6500 if you like.

    But on the other side gives you a much bigger rigg.

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

    PS: i was using a Nex5n, but gave it away because at that time Sony had not much lenses, specially macro.
    But have a Nex7 Nauticaum housing bought as a back up...

    Edited by trimix125
  5. Thanks Wolfgang, I don't take much video. This is more to think about.

  6. Thing is, if you buy, say, a NEX-7 with 18-55mm and FP72, then replace the lens with 90mm macro and the port with macro port 60 + adapter, then replace the body with A6500/A6300 and the housing with appropriate model... what do you have left of your original purchase, and why make it in the first place?

  7. Ha ha ha yes I get it and you are absolutely right. I'll be posting another thought soon - as soon as I think it through a little more. Your input will be appreciated then as now.

    R

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.