Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Advice on starting from scratch??

Started by bhollander ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice on starting from scratch??

2 posts
  1. Hey everyone, I am buying my first underwater housing setup for my Nikon D7100 and was hoping for some feedback on the setup I was thinking of buying please?

    - Ikelite 200DL Housing
    - Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens + 8" Compact Dome + zoom gear
    - Ikelite DS51 strobes x2 + dual sync cord
    - TTL hotshoe + converter
    - Ikelite arms/clamps 7" + 7" x2

    Do you guys have any opinions on Ikelite vs BigBlue arms/clamps? I was looking into buying Ultralight arms as well but B&H photo does not sell them and that is where I am getting the rest of my equipment...

    Thanks in advance, any advice is much appreciated!

  2. You will most likely not be happy with the light output from the ikelite ds51 strobes with the Tokina wide angle lens. I would suggest that you get at least one of not two ikelite ds-160 strobes. You will need a strobe cord also Sync Cord Two Ikelite Strobes to Ikelite Bulkhead Product # 4103.52 $ 160.00.

     

    You will also want Right-Hand Quick Release Handle # 4077.02 , Shutter Trigger Extension # 4077.93. You will need some floats to get the system neutral in the water and I would suggest STIX floats as the will fit the ikelite arms. you will probably need 8 large floats. I would also suggest that you purchase the Vacuum Pump with Gauge # 47011.

     

    I have an Ikelite D7000 system. Your next purchase should be a 60mm lens, 18-55 lens, and a flat port.

     

    Bill Libecap

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.