Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

ABS Housing Glue Bulkhead

Started by davec13o2 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

ABS Housing Glue Bulkhead

3 posts
  1. I have a Meikon ABS housing for my A7RII and would like to add a leak check fitting to it.

    VividHousings makes screw-in adapters, and their Aquatica type with a jam nut looks

    like it would work well with my type of thin-walled housing.

     

    The problem is that I may not have enough flat space on accessible parts of the housing

    to get a good O-ring seat, and if that turns out to be the case, I would have to glue on a

    piece of ABS with a flat on one side and curvature on the other side to match the housing.

    In reality, I suppose I would wind up filling the voids with thickened glue.

     

    I've glued ABS together before for vacuum systems, and standard ABS glue from Home Depot

    has worked fine. It softens the material to some extent so the bond is a weld.

     

    The ABS glue approach seems to be a good approach, but before I go drilling holes in my housing,

    I would like to get comments from anyone who has attempted this before, or who has repaired

    plastic cases with glue.

     

    Thanks,

     

    David

  2. There is a tool called a "Spot face"for this kind of situation. It goes in a drill press and will make a flat, circular area around the hole you are using. DON'T TRY to hand hold it your self!

    See if you can get a small machine shop to do it for you..

  3. Thanks.

     

    In fact, I do have a drill press and a small mill with end mills and clamps to jig the case, and I may give that a shot. But I don't think the case material is thick enough to take the threads.

    I need to find a way to check that.

    VividHousings does make a port with jam nut so threads would not be necessary, but reaching the nut on the inside would be a problem - threading from the outside much better.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.