Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Laowa 24mm Macro Probe Lens

Started by MJvC ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Laowa 24mm Macro Probe Lens

18 posts
  1. A long time ago Inon made one of these but the optics were terrible not yielding any part of the image sharp. This version from Laowa looks to be far superior. I would be very interested in trying out this for wide angle macro video underwater. I will probably try and have a port built for it to fit a Nauticam. Do any of you have any thoughts on this.

    Check out these links.

    https://www.cinema5d.com/snorkel-macro-lens-video-review-laowa-24mm-f14-probe-lens/

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/laowa/revolutionize-macro-videography-laowa-24mm-f-14-pr?ref=6wydht

  2. A long time ago Inon made one of these but the optics were terrible not yielding any part of the image sharp. This version from Laowa looks to be far superior. I would be very interested in trying out this for wide angle macro video underwater. I will probably try and have a port built for it to fit a Nauticam. Do any of you have any thoughts on this.

    Check out these links.

    https://www.cinema5d.com/snorkel-macro-lens-video-review-laowa-24mm-f14-probe-lens/

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/laowa/revolutionize-macro-videography-laowa-24mm-f-14-pr?ref=6wydht

    I have been reading about this lens and would be interested if it was compatible with my GH5 in Nauticam...

     

    Perhaps metabones adaptor and Canon mount?

     

    Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  3. I have got one coming in the kickstarter campaign, and wanted to put it underwater with nauticam. I'll ask them if they will consider making a lens port for it. but otherwise, what ideas do you have for housing it?

  4. I believe the BBC used a similar style lens on an A7s for some of their BP2 shots. I read somewhere that they build their own port to fit on a nauticam housing.

    Edited by bubffm
  5. I have asked and the answer is that nauticam will look at it after it is available for general order.

     

     

    I have also seen the BP2 set up, its at the end of the first ep. looks like a carbon fibre housing with small glass flat port? Pretty interesting underwater slider too.

     

     

    https://imgur.com/a/a02Epug

    Edited by Hmmm
  6. yes, that slider looks like a DIY project as well :-)

     

    I doubt Nauticam will do a port for it. I don't think interest would be high enough to make it commercially viable.

  7. You realize that the end of this thing is submersible? So it can be used for shallow water underwater shots - camera and the part from USB connector (on side of unit) to the camera mount stays dry.

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  8. From the "RedUser Forum" John Ellerbrock of Gates has confirmed that Gates has been working with with Laowa / Venus Optics for a while now and they will have a version or port out soon. He also mentioned that the one that BP2 used was manufactured by Esprit Films and Television / Dave Blackham.

     

  9. Would be super cool to see people get this lens underwater.

    On a side note.. how cool is the bp2 team?! Haha

  10. That video is pretty cool!

  11. Achieving such wide depth of field with those tiny critters is cool stuff indeed! You can immediatly recognize those sequences filmed with „ordinary“ macro lenses.

  12. The MLA60 debuted at Wildscreen this week in Bristol. Find out more on Facebook and Instagram.

     

    Anyone shooting Monstro will be happy. The lens covers the entire 46.3mm sensor image circle.

  13. If anyone is still curious about this, check out Kay Burn Lim. He's had this underwater in conjunction with his Red and Nauticam. Pretty sweet footage.

  14. A problem with the Loawa macroprobe is the depth rating: when using with Nauticam, the front part of the macroprobe is in direct contact with water.

    I was curious and asked at Nauticam (U.S.) to what depth the probe can be used. Nauticam replied it is not their responsibility, since the front is directly immersed, I should ask Laowa. Nauticam only guarantees for their parts, not for the probe. I asked at Laowa then and Laowa replied that it is not heir responsibility and I should ask the housing manufacturer (Nauticam in this case)...

    If I had the probe, I would be reluctand to use it in another way then just tipping the front into a puddle (this is what it has ben constructed for). I wonder whether someone has more information to what depth it can be used (but the information that I got is already offcial info from the manufacturers of probe and housing)...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  15. I have used this lens on numerous occasions and absolutely love it.
    It's my favourite lens by far.

    On a side note, how does one embed videos on the forum these days?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvs-vgQvgvY

    Edited by Pete L
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.