Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

What lens for Sony A6500? And housing.

Started by mymokarran ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

What lens for Sony A6500? And housing.

7 posts
  1. hello!

     

    I purchased a Sony A6500 (body) and do not know what lens to buy first. I have read the 16-50 is a good starter, but I just wanted to make sure. What do you suggest?

     

    Also, I am between an Ikelite housing and Fantasea Housing (includes ports, gears). Which should I be paying more attention to?

     

    Thanks for the help!

     

    -Natasha

  2. 16-50mm in a flat port works okay for fish portraits, but needs wet lenses for wide-angle or macro. I haven't tried it in a dome so far.

     

    Besides the 16-50, the go-to lenses for APS-C E-mount are 10-18mm for wide-angle and FE 90mm for macro. 30mm macro is also popular, but has a very short working distance. 16mm f/2.8 with VCL-ECF adapter is an option for fisheye shots.

     

    Regarding housings, Meikon/SeaFrogs has an attractive alternative, see here: https://seafrogs.com.hk/collections/salted-line

  3. The 16-50 is a decently versatile lens, but the Sony 50mm Macro or 90mm is better for those kinds of images. As for wide angle, while 16mm (24mm full frame) seems wide, you'll likely be better served later by the 10-18 Sony or the 16mm pancake with fisheye converter. Here's a video taken this March using the A6500, Aquatica A6500 housing, mix of the 50, 90 macro and the Sigma 15mm FE with the MC-11 Adapter:

     

     

    Full disclosure, I am a dealer for Aquatica...

     

    Cheers

     

    Stewart

  4. The 16-50 is a decently versatile lens, but the Sony 50mm Macro or 90mm is better for those kinds of images. As for wide angle, while 16mm (24mm full frame) seems wide, you'll likely be better served later by the 10-18 Sony or the 16mm pancake with fisheye converter. Here's a video taken this March using the A6500, Aquatica A6500 housing, mix of the 50, 90 macro and the Sigma 15mm FE with the MC-11 Adapter:

     

     

     

    Do you find it better to have that assortment of lenses or to buy the Macro/Magnified and the Wide Angle Wet Lenses and stick with the 1 lens on the camera like the 16-50? I am struggling between the 2 directions...

  5. Nauticam!!!!

  6.  

    Do you find it better to have that assortment of lenses or to buy the Macro/Magnified and the Wide Angle Wet Lenses and stick with the 1 lens on the camera like the 16-50? I am struggling between the 2 directions...

    I prefer using dedicated lenses myself. I mainly shoot full frame (previously DSLR, now A7r3) I refer the old adage of "jack of all trades, master of none" as my guide. I'd rather be in the "zone" of wide angle or macro per dive than switch back and forth....

  7. My go to main stay is the 16-50mm she has served me well.

     

    Have a great day!

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.