Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Strobe issue looking for help

Started by Garrethe ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobe issue looking for help

13 posts
  1. So, today im in Curacao and happy to be here. Im shooting an RX100ii in a Nauticam housing with Sea and Sea YS-D2 strobes. I set up my gear and took a test shot. 1 of the strobes then kept firing as soon as it cycled through. I have fiber optic connections so I unhooked the fiber connection and it still keep cycling and firing. I assumed I was having an issue with the strobe and I fortunately had a spare strobe. I hooked the spare strobe up took a test shot and all was fine. I then went diving and during the dive the strobe that I had replaced starting doing the same thing the other strobe had done. It started firing, recycling and then firing again. I disconnected the fiber connection and again it just kept firing. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on? Thanks for any help you choose to offer.

     

  2. Hi!

     

    Wow, that is very strange. Both strobes with the same issue and not connected to the camera/housing. And doing it at the surface too. Are you using different batteries in each strobe? Or the same set? I wonder if one of the batteries is faulty? Sounds like you are getting some sort of short across the terminals which fire the strobe.

     

    What setting have to you got the strobe set to? Manual? TTL? Does adjusting that make any difference?

  3. Switched batteries from 1 strobe to the other. Will put different batteries in and report back.

  4. Definitely worth trying. Fingers crossed.

  5. Welp, now the first strobe wont fire at all and the 2nd strobe still is firing just randomly though not as bad as before. Could a bad battery short circuit the strobes?

  6. These strobes have an optional wired sync connection as well ?? Random firing could be caused by a short under the protective cap, try taking that off and checking for contamination/leaks, it is sealed by an o-ring as well.

     

    I struggle to see how a bad battery could be your problem, they either present the right voltage or don't and they don't the strobe won't fire.

  7. Removed

    Edited by hellhole
  8. Really odd though that it’s both strobes even when not connected to the housing. That’s what made me think some weird battery issue - as they seem to be the only commonality.

     

    Could that protective cap Chris mentions have leaked on both?

  9. The spare strobe was a brand new strobe so shouldnt have any issues with sync connection or leakage. The only common thread between them is I used the same batteries in both strobes.

  10. I'd try a different set of batteries then. Very odd that AA batteries would cause a problem (as Chris says) but can't think what else it might be if the problem is affecting two strobes, out of the water, not connected to anything - and one of them is right out of the box.

     

    Good quality AA batteries? Not damaged? Rechargeable ones? Or disposables?

     

    Maybe there is some weird out-of-body thing going on out there in Curacao...... Bermuda Triangle extension?

     

    Hope you're having fun despite the strobe issue.

  11. Batteries are rechargeable Eneloop Pros. For what its worth the new strobe worked fine today in the water. Original strobe still not working.

     

    Thanks

  12. Oh right. Fingers crossed on the new one behaving!

     

    Eneloops are usually pretty good. It might be worth trying a set of new AA Energisers or Duracell disposables in the older strobe just to see if that makes any difference. Probably won't but worth a try.....

  13. Also consider whether other light sources are triggering the strobe. The inons have a sensor in the face as well as where the fibre optic connects. Light dappled through the water surface in the shallows (e.g. on surface swims) and LED lights switched to low both flicker at the right speed to trigger a flash.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.