Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Should I wait for the Nikon Z-series?

Started by mymokarran ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Should I wait for the Nikon Z-series?

7 posts
  1. I was about to buy the Sony A 6500/6300 when Nikon announced their newest full-frame mirrorless camera. Should I wait to purchase a mirrorless camera for UWP until then? Or, should I go ahead and purchase the Sony?

     

    I've had Nikon for the past 9 years, with my current camera being the Nikon DSLR D7000. I have a variety of lenses including an 18-300, macro 40mm, wideangle Tamron 11-18, and 50mm. Luckily, the Z-series will be releasing an F-mount adapter keeping my DSLR lenses still in good use.

     

    The Sony is a cheaper option, and one I don't have to wait for. I can also buy cheaper second-hand accesories with this option

     

    What should I do?

     

    -Mokarran

  2. Hi,
    your lenses are mostly DX, so no use for them on the new Nikon Z series.
    Did you had a housing for the D7000?
    If not, you have to make a big step, and then the difference is not so big....
    Nikon will need, as well as Sony did, some time to get all needed lenses on start.
    But there is a nice pool of available lenses, that Sony didnt had....
    The question is, what is your goal? Macro or wide angle?
    Z models are FX, means more wide angle than macro possibilities,,,

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

    who thinks about the Z6 after the hot time....

  3. Also, consider the time between the new camera is launch and the time the housing for that camera is launched. Have you seen any news on housing manufacturers with plans for the Nikon Z models?

  4. Are you more interested in photo or video? What are you currently using? The 6300/6500 have been out for a while so there are certainly more "used" options available. I know Nauticam is working on a housing for the Nikon Mirrorless and they usually don't take too long to get them into production.

  5. Look up reviews of the Z camera. If I'm not mistaken, the battery life on these is very low!

  6. Look up reviews of the Z camera. If I'm not mistaken, the battery life on these is very low!

     

    Real-world tests are getting a lot more than the rating on Nikon's site...like 3-4x as many shots.

     

    As others have mentioned elsewhere, the housing specs for the Nauticam NA-Z7 and NA-D850 show them to be very close to the same size, which (for me) completely negates the size advantage of the Z7 over the D850 body.

  7. I think not necessary. The most common used lens for nikon is 105mm for macro and 16mm for wide angle.

    Both will need a extension ring on Z series. I think the housing company will have to design new port also.

    And most important, Z7 has weaker performance than D850 on dynamic focusing. That is very crucial underwater.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.