Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Diving with Gian Manta Ray - looking for constructive criticism

Started by Laval ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Diving with Gian Manta Ray - looking for constructive criticism

6 posts
  1. In April 2018, I was very fortunate to participate in the Ray of Hope Expedition to the Revillagigedos Islands, off the coast of Mexico. The expedition was organized by Dr. Andrea Marshall – a National Geographic Explorer and the ‘Queen of Mantas'.

     

    Here is a link to my 4-min video-report about this trip: https://youtu.be/dJKKAWb0Efs

     

    This is my first video after moving from iMovie to Final Cut Pro.

     

    Camera: Sony A7Rii, Housing Ikelite, lens 28mm with fisheye.

    I did not use lights, and did not use any filters.

     

    I will appreciate your constructive criticism.

     

    Thank you.

     

     

     

     

     

     

  2. Some very nice shots. Well done!

     

    This is perfectly watchable as-is, but I assume you took the shots pretty much as they came out of the camera? The shots look very blue, so I'd try to adjust the white balance a bit in post. Some blown out highlights on the white belly of the mantas, but I know their skin is very reflective and this happens easily. Again, I'd try to play a bit with the exposure in the midtones and highlights in FCPX.

     

    Of course it always depends how much time you want spend getting a clip out, but if your looking for constructive comments, these two points may be worth playing with.

     

    NB: I love how that morey eal spit out that sea urchin :-)

    Edited by bubffm
  3. Bring the saturation of the blues down a bit and it will give it a more natural look. Nice video!

  4. Some very nice shots. Well done!

     

    This is perfectly watchable as-is, but I assume you took the shots pretty much as they came out of the camera? The shots look very blue, so I'd try to adjust the white balance a bit in post. Some blown out highlights on the white belly of the mantas, but I know their skin is very reflective and this happens easily. Again, I'd try to play a bit with the exposure in the midtones and highlights in FCPX.

     

    Of course it always depends how much time you want spend getting a clip out, but if your looking for constructive comments, these two points may be worth playing with.

     

    NB: I love how that morey eal spit out that sea urchin :-)

     

    Many thanks, bubffm. I appreciate your comments. I will try to play with the footage as per your recommendations.

  5. Bring the saturation of the blues down a bit and it will give it a more natural look. Nice video!

    Hey Kire70. I appreciate your comment and advise. I will try adjusting the saturation. By the way, could you recommend any tutorials for underwater video editing?

  6. Nice video! Lovely manta segments.

     

    I've never seen a moray with a puffer fish in its jaws. That was an interesting segment.I guess the puffer's defense system worked like it was supposed to. (LOL)

     

    -AZTinman

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.