This is my first attempt at developing a systematic decision-making approach to underwater photography. My intention is to clarify what I should be concentrating on at each point from the time I enter the water until after I take the final shot of a subject. I welcome your comments on this draft and will make the final version available to all.
-
Finding Subjects.
-
Ideally understand the behavior of what you plan to shoot.
-
Decide if the subject is suitable for my specific camera setup.
-
Determine that the subject is accessible without inappropriate contact.
-
-
Shoot Video or Still?
-
Approach.
-
Plan approach to avoid damage to subject and environment.
-
Minimise silting on approach.
-
Minimise animal disturbance.
-
-
Compose
-
Determine creative objective (ID, capture behavior, etc.).
-
Do I need to adjust camera settings and orientation?
-
Consider background.
-
Consider plane of focus.
-
-
Strobe/Light Position.
-
Snoot/Backlight/Standard strobe/Ambient?
-
One or two strobes?
-
Strobe position.
-
Initial strobe power.
-
-
Taking the Shot.
-
Peak of action.
-
Smooth release.
-
Proper focus point.
-
Concentrate on framing.
-
-
Checking the Shot.
-
Histogram.
-
Eye in focus?
-
Strobe light balance.
-
Backscatter?
-
Distracting foreground or background?
-
Did I achieve my creative objective?
-
-
Exiting the Shot.
-
Communicate with waiting photographers or guide.
-
Avoid silting.
-
Avoid disturbing animal.
-