Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Using filters with GoPro Hero 7

Started by snowscuba ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Using filters with GoPro Hero 7

3 posts
  1. Hi all, the last GoPro I had was Hero4, until my brother lost it diving :-(. Before that I had a Hero2. I have always used a red filter for diving. I am going on a dive trip to La Paz next month and want to get a Hero7. With the newer cameras, what's the latest, should we still use filters, or do color grading in post, use at depth white balancing, what is recommended? Thank you very much

  2. i think everyone is still using the filters. However, it should be noted that when doing closeups with lots of artificial white light (assuming a dive light), you need to take the filter off. Although, it actually looks rather pretty over saturated with red. lol.

     

    I just got back from la paz. Great clarity, great people. Probably my favorite Mexican town to date. Not a huge variety of fish, but very pleasant.

     

    Most of the upgrades in these cameras has focused on providing 4k and image stabilization. White-balance still sucks in my opinion because of the low dynamic range of these cameras. I'm kinda talking out my arse, but you definitely get very weird artifacts when you transition your shot from dark coral to white sand. Looks like garbage even on the 6. Haven't actually tried the seven, so maybe you're in for a pleasant surprise? Super good deal at $399 though.

  3. Saw this at DEMA last week -

     

    https://www.paralenz.com/

     

    no need for filters as it auto -adjusts .....

     

    something to maybe consider instead of the GoPro ....

    very heavy duty & durable exterior ....

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.