Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Got a dive light with UV and Blue light - does it work?

Started by phxazcraig ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Got a dive light with UV and Blue light - does it work?

5 posts
  1. Recently bought a Krakken 3500 dive light. It has a setting where some blue and some ultraviolet LEDs come on for night diving. I'm intrigued, but have no experience. I read that you need to use yellow filters (both mask and camera) to really make it work well. I'm wondering if just playing with the white balance on the camera might eliminate the need for a filter. Also wondering where one gets a yellow filter for the mask.

     

  2. I have a pair of Archon lights which are similar in that regard. Shooting raw, I was able to play with the color wheel in Capture One to get some results, but they weren't particularly impressive -

     

    3dlxpNt.jpg

     

    spc54Wu.jpg

     

    With a yellow filter on the lens (inside a dome) it was a little bit better but not by much -

     

    sKCKYpS.jpg

     

    The very limited amount of light ends up requiring very long exposures (to the order of 1/2-1/5s) at very high ISO values (I was using auto ISO, it never went below the set ceiling of 12800). Next time I do it, I'll try using a macro lens. and concentrating the light.

     

    For mask filter, I'm using this - cheap but it works. Note that if you have other divers in the water using regular white lights, they will drown out all the fluorescence.

  3. @Barmaglot out of interest which Archon lights did you go with? I'm looking for a reasonably priced search light that is small, so I can use it on those specific dives. The ones I've seen are sizeable (nothing unmanagable) but a single 18650 style light will do just for searching for subjects. Otherwise I'll end up bringing too many torches on the trip!

  4.  One possibility might be to use a waterproof flashlight with a UV bulb.  For example, the Surefire LED bulb (for the Surefire C2, G2 and similar flashlights) emits near UV light at 395 mu. 

    https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Replacement-Single-Module-Surefire/dp/B087YW1QFT?th=1

    Amazon has a UV "waterproof" flashlight for a reasonable price, but how really waterproof it is remains to be seen.  

    https://www.amazon.com/LETION-Flashlight-Highlight-Waterproof-Detection/dp/B07X1H5TJQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1M2MR0H5UG3MY&keywords=uv+underwater+flashlight&qid=1685244743&sprefix=uv+underwater+flashlight%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-5

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  5. I have a very similar "WeeFine" lamp as focuslight and nightdiving. As Barmaglot already said, this lamp can be used as it is and you will see fluorescence. Also for photography it can be used, but for professional results you need more intensity and filters. I did a trial, just for fun, only with this light for photos:

    regular flashlight (2x Z330):

    2021_11_Rohanou_0063.thumb.jpg.28570fc41dd9eb93759d2b4b6aad2397.jpg

    Weefine (long exposure, high ISO, wide aperture):

    2021_11_Rohanou_0064.thumb.jpg.35732cd62051b1e399997e3207b319bb.jpg

    The fluorescence is the yellowish/greenish polyps, the rest (blue) is the direct illumination by the lamp...

    I guess you asked for video, here I cannot say, but you need to do go to (or above) the limits of your camera...

     

    Wolfgang

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.