Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Humpback whales in Tonga - August 2018

Started by paolobl65 ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Humpback whales in Tonga - August 2018

13 posts
  1. I was in Tonga last August with Naia liveabord and I'd like to share my experience .

     

    Naia is a well known liveaboard cruising Tonga during July , August and September and Fiji during the other months .

    All on board is great : cabin , food , service , professional cruise director , wonderful fijian staff !

     

    The trip was 10 days - 9 nights - 8 full day in water with humpback whales . A lot of time with only one target : .... whales !!

    Seeing whales above water and underwater as well ( snorkeling only allowed )

    I must confess at the beginning I was afraid to get bored , but day by day I understood that all that time is necessary to " get in touch " with the whales . This means not only take a snapshot but let the whales accept me in water !

     

     

     

    As per tecnical details , I ask many friends had done same experience as well as internet research and I finally understood that is useful :

    -use fisheye on Dslr ( or mirrorless ) : I used Canon 8-15 on Canon 80D

    -use mid dome or minidome : I used ZEN 170 dome : a big dome is not really necessary because not possible many half-half and no worry about soften corner , and the cons is you have sto swimm a lot !

    -use manual exposure with center weight metering and -2/3 compensation - F8 - 1/125 to 1/200 ( I used usually 1/160 ) - auto ISO

    -use autofocus ( with all points active ) , water was very clear so no really problem with autofocus

     

    I balanced ( neutral buoyancy and perfect trim ) my housing with some close cell foam all around it and it was very useful during the long hours in water .

     

     

    Last important points :

    -try to have the sun behind my back , because the only light is the natural light ( no flash allowed ) .

    -go close !! ... or better , let the whales came close to me ... and the first days I made the mistake to use fishyey at 15 mm .. at the end I used only 10 mm ( on crop sensor ) and try to fill the frame to have to less water as possible from whales and my lens .

    -be prepared to swimm a lot and a lot , so I trained myself intensive before this trip .

     

     

     

    here some shots , hope you like :

     

     

    44001175954_733146f14d_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

     

    44109712464_f6744de48c_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

    42746436130_2ed96fa0f5_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

     

    44698102971_9cbba98858_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

    44699296701_327e6da810_c.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

     

    30183307867_09018fdeb9_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

    some great moment of interaction ...... :

     

     

    45102621521_b6081f4b09_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

     

    30972534388_cd31b2f2ba_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

    44226778635_6f5027178c_b.jpg

    Edited by paolobl65
  2. And we were lucky the baby wanted to play with us :

    29930439367_3a3b3e3fb9_b.jpg
    44794088402_0d445d4a17_b.jpg
    29930965577_8a5d9667af_b.jpg

    30995301948_b28accba01_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

    ... but no problem baby .... big mama is always watching at you !!!

     

     

    44844739071_f004447575_c.jpg

     

     

     

     

    and always take care of you !!

     

     

    44146152164_b9d28a8e68_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

    finally my favourite image .... just another point of view !!

     

     

    44538125875_ce4a95fe4d_b.jpg

     

     

     

     

    If you like to see more Tonga photos you can see my Flickr album : https://www.flickr.com/photos/paolobl65/albums/72157701111669905

     

     

    all my best

    Paolo Isgro

    Edited by paolobl65
  3. WOW... just WOW. This is so much on the bucket list

  4. Lovely pics, Paolo. What a great experience :dancing:

  5. Looks absolutely amazing!

  6. Amazing !!!!

  7. Wow awesome shots went there quite sometime ago nice place to go

  8. WOW amazing shots !!!

    Was there no worry about being crushed by accident by the Wales?

  9. Great shots. I was in Moorea last year for humpbacks and we didn't have visibility like that! amazing shots!

  10. Gorgeous images. I’m heading to Moorea soon so hopefully these tips will help!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. very nice shots, really like them!

  12. Extraordinary, exhilarating images!

    Bravo!

     

  13. Tonga is now on the bucket list!   thanks for this!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.