Hey Simon
I used the Tokina 10-17 with a Kenko TC1.4 a lot in my Nikon D300 days. I'm using the system again now with a D500 but because of the diving conditions on recent trips I didn't use the D500/Tokina combination very much although it did look promising.
On the D300 I found the 10-17/TC1.4 combination very good. It effectively produces (approx) a close-focus 14-25mm lens so not quite as wide but still pretty good and the close focus is very close!
As Larry sets out, you would need to extend the port forward to accommodate the length of the TC. Your housing manufacturer, Nauticam, should be able to advise on the extension ring size needed. And you may well need a different zoom ring to operate the zoom on the 10-17. Again, Nauticam or a dealer should be able to give you details.
For sharks? It depends of course on how close the sharks get. My own experience is that 14-25 may be too wide. I don't have a lot of shark experience but did find with dolphins that getting close to 35mm worked best for me, But, as I say, it depends on location and the type of approach the dive operator (and the sharks!) use. I'm sure others here will have thoughts on lens size.