Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

reef destruction: before & after

Started by Leslie ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

reef destruction: before & after

6 posts
  1. reef destruction: before & after

    Does anyone have good before & after reef pics of bombing? Cyanide fishing? Anchor or dredging damage? Siltation & smothering caused by construction? Bottom areas littered with beer cans & human junk? Or know of websites with these kind of images? The area where my biodiversity survey team works in Fiji is scheduled to undergo a lot of development in the coming years, including resorts & UW tourism. It already has dynamite fishers operating there. I'm told the dynamite is usually stolen from the local mine or delivered by agents of the fish buyers. Since the coastal tribes that control the bay don't go underwater they don't really comprehend the extent of the current damage or what construction & unregulation usage can do. I'd like to have some good images to show them & local officials on our next trip. It might make a difference in how they regulate human activity in the coming years.

     

    We might create powerpoint presentations with the images or give copies on CDs to officials. If you send images please let me know under what conditions we can use them.

     

    Many thanks, Leslie

  2. I have some images of what is almost certainly dynamite fishing damage on Indonesian reefs, though not before and afters of the same specific site, and it's impossible to be certain about cause of damage unless you are there immediately after the event.

     

    I would be willing to supply some of these in low or medium-resolution jpeg format for the uses you describe. Email me if you are interested...

     

    Frogfish

  3. I'll send an PM. Thanks!

  4. Hi Leslie,

     

    I will be in Jeddah later this month and should have time to photograph a few areas where construction has caused reef damage. I have several shots of these reefs prior to construction for comparison, which you can use for purposes of reef protection and environmental education.

     

    Cheers

  5. Gordon, that would be super. It was actually your photo on the "photographers-be careful" topic that reminded me about this issue in Fiji and that I had promised to bring images back for the villagers. Thanks for helping me keep that promise!

    Leslie

  6. No Probs Leslie,

     

    I will check through my scanned slides and see what is reasonable to convert to jpg and send to you.

     

    As I mentioned I will be in Jeddah later this month so I can photograph the same pinnacle along with the dead area.

     

    It is difficult to photograph anything in the Arabian gulf off Dubai as the continual dredging has reduced viz to around 1 meter.

     

    What really upsets me is that is was forbidden to dive the Jebel Ali reef and then some barstewards build a man made island resort in the middle of it :x

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.