Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Thoughts on adding a laser pointer to retra lsd?

Started by Chris Kippax ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Thoughts on adding a laser pointer to retra lsd?

7 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    I was thinking of adding a zbolt laser pointer to a retra lsd. I would use two circular sections of bungee cord to secure the pointer to the barrel of the snoot (see below). I was hoping this would aid in aiming and cut down on the frustration factor somewhat.

     

    Any thoughts?

     

     

    post-54742-0-09552000-1546122514_thumb.png

     

    post-54742-0-87659700-1546122539_thumb.png

  2. Interesting. Do let us know how it works out, Chris

  3. I would think the biggest frustration factor with this would be keeping it parallel to the snoot. Two circular surfaces in contact won't necessarily align and the fact that both items are stepped could cause problems as well depending on the length of the straight section available.. I would think that something like this would be more generally useful:

     

    http://www.inon.jp/products/le_light/lf800n.html

     

    The torch has two power settings and could double as a focus light, also has red filters. I have two INON torches and really like them.

     

    You could use their holder to hold the torch and probably adapt another one to go around the snoot: http://www.inon.jp/products/le_light/acc.html#stlhlf

     

    depending on the diameter of the snoot you may need to make a collar which you could do fairly easily with a strip of stainless steel to attache to the light holder. The torch barrel is 40mm diameter where you clamp it. You can get these shipped to Australia from UWdigital via Japan post, very efficient. If it's not on the website the owner will order it in. I then just pay total via Paypal. I've ordered INON gear including float arms and torches from him in the past. https://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/store/home.php?cat=268

  4. As shown in the image you added, the laser doesn't point at the centre of the retra beam, so I doubt that this would make life much easier.

     

    I agree that it sometimes can be though to get the aim correct, specially in the bright tropical shallows. Makes you wonder "did I even turn on the strobe" at times :crazy:

  5. I have a snoot with a side mounted laser pointer. It drives me crazy.

    1. The distance between the beam and the strobe light changes with the angle of the strobe.

    2. Subjects chase the laser, like a cat does.

    3. The aim changes constantly with every bump.

    Unless the aiming beam goes through the snoot, it's pretty useless. A stronger continuous light source through the snoot would be much more helpful.

  6. 2. Subjects chase the laser, like a cat does.

     

    This made me laugh so hard my colleagues where looking strangely at me :mocking:.

    Edited by DanielD
  7. 2. Subjects chase the laser, like a cat does.

     

    I carry a similar laser pointer that I use to point out critters to other divers, and have noticed the same thing. Many different fish will chase the spot, it is amusing unless they disturb the critter that you are trying to photograph!

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.