Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Z series lens road map

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Z series lens road map

10 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    Nikon released their updated roadmap for lens development with their Z series mirrorless full frame camera at the CES show.

     

    nikon_z_series_mirrorless_lens_roadmap.jpg

     

    Sadly, there are no (announced) plans for either macro or fisheye lenses in the next 3 years. Of course, existing F mount lenses can be used with the FTZ lens adapter. It is hard to know how or if this will affect IQ or performance.

     

    Adam

  2. I have used my F-mount lenses with the ftz adapter on my z7 and have great IQ plus no auto fine tune was needed. Once they issue the new firmware that adds eye tracking, focus tracking should improve overall.

  3. Does anyone who if a Nikonos V 15mm lens could be adapted to work with the Z series cameras with appropriate adaptor - like it is on the Sony mirrorless cameras?

  4. Does anyone who if a Nikonos V 15mm lens could be adapted to work with the Z series cameras with appropriate adaptor - like it is on the Sony mirrorless cameras?

     

    This should be easy to do since the sensor plane is very close to the lens mount - a lot of room to fit an adapter. However if a housing will fit the FTZ inside the housing it may not be so easy. So a better housing design to use Nikonos lenses would fit the FTZ within a port extension. This would require longer gears for zooming and or focusing (to engage within the housing) so old ones may not work.

     

    Just for grins I am attaching an underwater shot done with the Z6 but without a housing! I was testing out the Laowa macro probe that is waterproof about halfway along its length. In a nearby stream where salmon spawn (not this time of year!).

    post-3540-0-17022800-1549308658_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  5. Thanks Tom. Hopefully a housing manufacturer will look into making a port adaptor for it.

     

    Alex

  6. Alex are using the Z-cams underwater? Any thoughts or is a review coming up?

  7. Not interested in trying them. But if someone makes a housing that takes Nikonos V lenses - that could change. Alex

  8. The clouds parted today so tried free-lensing the Nikonos 15mm using a Leica M adapter as a spacer and an aid. To get this shot the lens was a few mm beyond the adapter. A bit awkward to hold with the knobs on the lens so far from perfect alignment. Where it was comfortable the lens shade was in the wrong position! Quite sharp in the center. Obviously blurry towards the edges. Not a topside lens!!

    post-3540-0-94393800-1549568829_thumb.jpg

  9. I dont know about the other companies, but I for sure know that the FTZ adapter can be used on a Sea and Sea housing.

  10. I was able to check out the Z series cameras at the recent Nikon Pro Event:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/articles/report-nikon-professional-roadshow-2019

     

    I did tests with the Z7, FTZ adaptor and both the Nikkor 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5 and the 105mm f/2.8 VR lenses

     

    "I was able to use the Z7 with both the Nikkor 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5 fisheye and the 105mm f/2.8 VR macro lenses. Both required the use of the ZTF adaptor. Predictably, the AF seems fine with the fisheye. I then mounted the 105mm and I was disappointed with the results. While it found focus on a brightly lit subject, it hunted a lot to do so. Certainly, when compared with the amazing AF on the D500/D850/D5, the Z7’s felt both slower and less accurate."

     

    I'm quite sure the Z series cameras are amazing, but I would suggest that there are significant compromises in lens choices at present. Saying that Nikonos conversions may well produce amazing results...

     

    Adam

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.