Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica and wet close up in general

Started by inflex ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica and wet close up in general

4 posts
  1. I have a "legacy" (the big one) aquatica macro port and would like to try shooting some supermacro. Would love to hear some recommendations or experiences from those who do the same. I currently shoot macro with Canon 100mm 2.8 L lens with a 5D mk2.

     

    It does not look like Aquatica has a flippable system for the older, larger macro port. Instead, there's an adapter plate that is held onto the macro port's rim by 3 screws. Has anyone tried installing/removing this or the close up lenses underwater? Is it feasible?

     

    If not, it seems I would be better off simply installing a dry CU lens directly onto the main lens.

     

    Otherwise, I'm not ready to shell out $1100 for the mini-macro port + flippable mount + lenses, as I'm not sure how much I'll like shooting supermacro.

     

    What's your recommendations on shooting supermacro with a legacy Aquatica port?

    Edited by inflex
  2. The close-up lens holder is held very securely to the older Macro port. Though if you'd like extra protection, a piece of duct tape on the port's edge will ensure that you don't get scratches on the port lip. As long as you smear a bit of silicone grease on the o-ring of the Aquatica closeup lens, then it's easy to pop them in and out of the holder.

  3. So the lens can be feasibly installed or removed while underwater?

  4. The Aquatica +5 and +10 closeup lenses are designed to pop in and out of the holder using an o-ring system.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.