hi, i'm making a mat for a friend who shoots underwater. i've noticed most underwater photos look best against black, but the frame's black... i don't want too much black.
would a dark grey look ok?
would love to know any advice.
fyi, the frame's about 1/2" thick, 18"x24", and i vaguely plan to have 6 or 7 smallish holes straight down the center. so the color of the mat is imperative.
thanks,
d
I do my own matting and have found that a color wheel helps to select mat colors to image highlights. You can pick one up at any art store. I usually try to pick frame and mat colors that do not steal the image. The mat is generally selected to make the picture really pop and is only slightly emphasized for style. I try to select a highlight of the subject and cut my mats to that color or a close hue. Frame and mat are coordinated with the photo. We only have info on your frame and mat.
I'd need to see the picture to help you select a mat color. To say a black frame with a grey mat without knowing anything about the image is a tough call.
Joe
I've been printing and framing a lot lately. I try to use a flat black frame and double mat with a white mat over a black mat with a white core. It adds depth and a simple classical look that won't clash with any wall color.