Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Picture colour is washed out and flash over exposes - help!

Started by dariusp ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Picture colour is washed out and flash over exposes - help!

3 posts
  1. Picture colour is washed out and flash over exposes - help!

    Hi all,

     

    I am very new to digital underwater (3 days) but have been shooting with a digital SLR for about a year on land. Underwater, I am shooting with an Olympus 5060 with Olympus housing, internal flash and red filter.

     

    I am currently shooting in the Red Sea and have been disappointed with the results. In previous years, I have shoot with a Sea & Sea rental (with external flash.) With the digital and filter (no flash), I find the picyure colour very washed out. With the flash, I find that it overexposes a lot. I was advised by the shop not to shoot with filter and flash. For the latest batch, I underexposed by 1/3 and stepped the flash down 1/3 - this gave less overexposed areas but still very washed out pictures. Yellow is about the only colour that is close to vibrant.

     

    All shots so far have been taken on P with auto white balance.

     

    Anyway, any tips you could offer would be very welcome.

     

    Regards

     

    Darius

  2. hello,

     

    you may find a lot of helpful info at www.splashdowndivers.com.. i used to shoot with oly 5050 but only shot in M(anual). my personal experience is that these cameras dont function well in P or A...

     

    M.

  3. Shooting in P the camera will always choose the lowest f-stop and the result will be overexposed flash and washed out photos.

     

    HTH

    James

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.