Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Sharks and Lights

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Sharks and Lights

2 posts
  1. I have always been under the impression that constant lights (video) do not appeal to sharks but I may be wrong and I was looking for any research on the subject

     

    I am quite positive that strobes are almost invisible to sharks that are almost blind as I have never seen a reaction but for video lights I have always find marine life to react in some ways and therefore always excluded sharks and video lights as a combination

     

    Recently though I have seen some some footage of sharks shot with video lights so I am particularly curious about it

     

    Has anyone any evidence empirical or scientific to understand more about this?

  2. Interceptor,

     

    No data about lights.

     

    I have seen hammerheads spooked by bubbles. On open circuit, an exhale made them disappear in the Galapagos - I was told that bubbles may represent a threat display.

     

    Tom

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.