Hi!
In a neighbouring thread I explore what wide-angle lens to use for a Nikon full frame system. I’m also thinking a lot (I mean really a lot) about what camera to use, which I hope to shed some light on in this thread.
But first, let me stipulate what this is not about! It’s not about cost. Cost will absolutely be a part of the final decision, yes. But this thread is only about camera merits. Likewise, lens choice is left out. Yes it’s very important, just not in this thread. At least not to begin with.
So, the contenders are the Nikon D850 and the Z7. The Z6 could possibly be an alternative, but for simplicity’s sake let’s keep it to D850 and Z7.
The following is my impression of the merits, divided into different aspects.
Sensor: to all practical purposes they have the same sensor. No meaningful difference.
Size and weight: The Z7 is about 300 g lighter. If I go with Sea & Sea I save another 100 g on the housing.
Autofocus: Very tricky to judge. The D850 has more refined and predictable AF. Probably often faster. Better 3D-tracking and more reliable for focusing on closest object. However, the underwater housings remove some of the ergonomic advantage of the D850 (it seems neither the AF joystick nor the front customizable buttons can be used) and the Z7 has much greater area coverage. And the Z7 AF doesn’t seem to be bad at all, just not as refined as the D850. Difficult for me to predict how important this is.
Also, the Z7 has workable movie AF. Stills are most important to me, but a movie now and then could be nice.
Speed: The D850 seems to be a bit quicker in operation, but that may be masked by the underwater conditions. I don’t think the bigger buffer and higher fps of the D850 will matter that much.
Viewfinder/screen: So far I have only used back LCD:s when diving. I haven’t had anything else. On land I normally use the eye viewfinder, but under water I can see some advantages with using the back LCD. With the camera system’s greater mass and lower weight under water compared to topside use camera shake from holding at arm’s length shouldn’t be that severe. Either way, the Z7 has a liveview mode with the same AF speed as using the viewfinder, which cannot be said for D850.
Stabilisation: All lenses will be stabilised on the Z7. When using strobes this is likely not important. When using available light in dark Swedish waters it may well be important.
Battery: D850 has longer battery life. Nice, but no big deal. I’m used to switching battery at least every two dives.
Flash sync: This may be unpleasant either way. I’m spoiled with flash sync at 1/2000 s on my LX100. D850 has 1/250 s, Z7 1/200 s. Could be an issue sometimes, though smaller apertures than I use on the LX100 may force me to lower shutter speeds anyway.
Summing up: Looking at it this way, Z7 has stabilisation of all lenses, liveview performance, weight and AF coverage going for it. The D850 has AF refinement, general speed, better battery life and slightly better flash sync. Have I forgotten anything important? Remember, lens choice and cost are disregarded for the moment.
Topside I trust myself to judge what’s important to me in a camera. Underwater, not so much. I’m just not experienced enough. Thus, experienced input is greatly valued!
You have been great so far. I’m hoping for some good feedback here also.